No. 2 Virginia Downs NC State 7-0
Box Score March 24, 2017
RALEIGH, N.C. – The No. 2 Virginia men’s tennis team (16-0, 3-0 ACC) picked up a 7-0 road victory at NC State (9-10, 0-4 ACC) on Friday (March 24) at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center in Raleigh, N.C.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point and swept the singles matches, winning five of them in straight sets. Redshirt freshman Aswin Lizen (Douglas, Isle of Man) capped off the sweep by winning his third set at No. 6 singles in a tiebreaker, downing Ivan Saveljic 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4).
Junior Collin Altamirano (Sacramento, Calif.) and senior J.C. Aragone (Yorba Linda, Calif.) started the match by picking up a quick 6-1 win over Michael Ogden and Georgiy Malyshev at No. 3 doubles. Junior Alexander Ritschard (Zurich, Switzerland) and senior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (Charlotte, N.C.) clinched the point with a 6-2 victory at No. 2.
In singles, the Cavaliers won five of six first sets. Ritschard downed Malyshev 6-3, 6-1 on court three to give UVA a 2-0 lead. Aragone downed Michael Ogden 6-4, 6-1 on the fourth court. Junior Henrik Wiersholm (Kirkland, Wash.) clinched the UVA win with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Sean Burnette at No. 5. Kwiatkowsk followed with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Nick Horton at court one to put UVA up 5-0. Altamirano battled in his match at No. 2, picking up a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 victory over Alexis Galarneu. Lizen rallied after dropping his first set to win the second and force a third. In the third set, Lizen went up a break early, but Saveljic battled back and tied the match. Both players held serve in the final few games, forcing the tiebreaker in which Lizen prevailed, 7-4.
The Cavaliers return home on Sunday, March 26 to host Duke (9-6, 2-2 ACC) at 1 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. Virginia has won 15 matches in a row against Duke and 19 of the last 20. Prior to UVA’s current 19-1 run, the Blue Devils won 22 straight match-ups from 1985-2003.
Admission is free for all UVA home games.
#2 Virginia 7, NC State 0
1. #6 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. #87 Nick Horton (ST) 6-4, 6-2
2. #64 Collin Altamirano (VA) def. #92 Alexis Galarneau (ST) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
3. Alexander Ritschard (VA) def. Georgiy Malyshev (ST) 6-3, 6-1
4. #104 J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Michael Ogden (ST) 6-4, 6-1
5. Henrik Wiersholm (VA) def. Sean Burnette (ST) 6-3, 6-1
6. Aswin Lizen (VA) def. Ivan Saveljic (ST) 4-6 (7-4), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
1. #63 Nick Horton/Alexis Galarneau (ST) vs. #49 Luca Corinteli/Henrik Wiersholm (VA) 4-4, unfinished
2. Alexander Ritschard/Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. Michael Ogden/Georgiy Malyshev (ST) 6-2
3. Collin Altamirano/J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Chris Mikrovas/Sean Burnette (ST) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,4,5,1,2,6)