No. 3 Virginia Wins 7-0 at Miami
Box Score April 21, 2017
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 3 Virginia men’s tennis team (24-1, 10-1 ACC) picked up a 7-0 victory at Miami (8-12, 2-9 ACC) on Friday (April 21) at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables, Fla.
The Cavaliers clinched the doubles point and swept through the six singles matches for their seventh 7-0 victory over an ACC opponent this season. Senior J.C. Aragone (Yorba Linda, Calif.) picked up the 100th singles victory of his career, downing Kevin Bondar 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 singles.
Aragone and junior Collin Altamirano (Sacramento, Calif.) started the match with a 6-3 victory at No. 3 doubles. Senior Luca Corinteli (Alexandria, Va.) and freshman Carl Soderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) clinched the point with a 6-2 victory at No. 1.
In singles, Altamirano breezed to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Jesse Flores at No. 4 singles. After Aragone picked up his win at No. 5, senior Alexander Ritschard (Zurich, Switzerland) clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over No. 59 Piotr Lomacki on court one. Senior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (Charlotte, N.C.) dropped his first set, 6-4, to Christian Langmo on the second court, but dominated the second two sets, 6-1, 6-1, to put UVA up 5-0. SÃƒÆ’Â¶derlund followed with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Max Andrews before junior Henrik Wiersholm (Kirkland, Wash.) finished off the sweep with a 6-3, 7-6 (6) win over Dane Dunlap.
The Cavaliers close out the regular season on Sunday, April 23 at 3 p.m. when they play at No. 32 Florida State (14-9, 4-5 ACC) in an ACC Network Extra contest that will stream live online on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
The postseason starts next week with the 2017 ACC Men’s Tennis Championship, taking place April 26- 30 at the Rome Tennis Center at Berry College in Rome, Ga. The bracket for the ACC Championship will be announced on Sunday evening. The top four teams will receive a double-bye into the quarterfinals, which are scheduled to begin on Friday, April 28 at 10 a.m.
#3 Virginia 7, Miami 0
1. Alexander Ritschard (VA) def. #59 Piotr Lomacki (UM) 6-2, 6-4
2. #12 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. Christian Langmo (UM) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. #112 Carl Soderlund (VA) def. Max Andrews (UM) 6-3, 6-4
4. #47 Collin Altamirano (VA) def. Jesse Flores (UM) 6-1, 6-2
5. #125 J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Kevin Bondar (UM) 6-3, 6-1
6. #90 Henrik Wiersholm (VA) def. Dane Dunlap (UM) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
1. #15 Luca Corinteli/Carl Soderlund (VA) def. #50 Max Andrews/Jesse Flores (UM) 6-2
2. Nile Clark/Piotr Lomacki (UM) vs. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski/Alexander Ritschard (VA) 5-6, unfinished
3. Collin Altamirano/J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Dane Dunlap/Christian Langmo (UM) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,5,1,2,3,6)