March 18, 2018
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The No. 26 Virginia (9-4, 4-2 ACC) women’s tennis team finished off a sweep of its weekend ACC road trip Sunday (March 18), posting a 6-1 win at Notre Dame (10-4, 2-2 ACC).
The Cavaliers defeated No. 49 Louisville on Friday before picking up the Sunday win over the Irish.
In Sunday’s match, Virginia claimed the doubles point and singles wins from seniors Cassie Mercer (Huntington, W.Va.) and Teodora Radosavljevic (Belgrade, Serbia), junior Meghan Kelley (Falmouth, Maine) and sophomores Hunter Bleser (New Braunfels, Texas) and Rosie Johanson (Abbotsford, British Columbia).
Virginia won the doubles point for the second time on the weekend, this time taking victories on courts one and two. The No. 7 pairing of Johanson and Kelley won 6-2 on court one before Notre Dame would take a win on court three. The pairing of Chloe Gullickson (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) and Mercer secured the doubles point for Virginia with a 6-4 win on court two.
The Cavaliers then quickly raced out to a 3-0 lead in the match with singles wins on courts two and three. Mercer defeated Allison Miller 6-2, 6-1, before Kelley defeated Cameron Corse 6-1, 6-3.
Radosavljevic then clinched the win with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Rachel Chong on court five.
Virginia pushed the lead out to six points as Johanson, the No. 72 player nationally in singles, won 7-5, 6-2 over Brooke Broda on court one and Bleser won 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 on court six.
The Irish closed the match with a win in a super tiebreak on court four as Notre Dame’s Zoe Spence won 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 over Gullickson.
Virginia returns to action at home next weekend, hosting No. 31 Miami on Friday (March 23) and Pittsburgh on Sunday (March 25).
No. 26 Virginia 6, Notre Dame 1
1. No. 72 Rosie Johanson def. Brooke Broda (ND), 7-5, 6-2
2. Cassie Mercer def. Allison Miller (ND), 6-2, 6-1
3. Meghan Kelley def. Cameron Corse (ND), 6-1, 6-3
4. Zoe Spence (ND) def. Chloe Gullickson, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0
5. Teodora Radosavljevic def. Rachel Chong (ND), 6-3, 6-0
6. Hunter Bleser def. Ally Bojczuk (ND), 6-2, 5-7, 1-0
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 5, 1, 6, 4
1. No. 7 Johanson/Kelley def Broda/Miller, 6-2
2. Gullickson/Mercer def. Corse/Spence, 6-4
3. Chong/Waldram def. Radosavljevic/Susi, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2