April 13, 2018
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. ÃƒÆ’Ã†’Ãƒâ€ ‘ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â ‘Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†’Ãƒâ€ ‘Â¢’Â¬” The No. 21 Virginia (13-6, 7-4 ACC) women’s tennis team fell at No. 1 North Carolina (21-2, 10-1 ACC) on Friday afternoon, dropping a 7-0 match to the top-ranked Tar Heels at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
With the loss to the Tar Heels, three of the four losses in ACC play have come against teams ranked in the top four nationally at the time of competition.
Virginia will continue its weekend road trip at NC State on Sunday, facing the Wolfpack at noon at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center.
North Carolina started the match by taking the doubles points, picking up wins on courts one and three. The second-ranked pairing of Jessie Aney and Alexa Graham won on court one over the No. 22 pairing from UVA of Rosie Johanson (Abbotsford, British Columbia) and Meghan Kelley (Falmouth, Maine). The Tar Heels clinched the doubles point on court three as the duo of Akkerman and Makenna Jones defeated Hunter Bleser (New Braunfels, Texas) and Teodora Radosavljevic (Belgrade, Serbia) by a score of 6-4.
On court two, the match went unfinished as Chloe Gullickson (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) and Cassie Mercer (Huntington, W.Va.) were in a 5-5 tie with the No. 16 team of Sara Daavettila and Alle Sanford.
In singles play, the Tar Heels won all six singles matches, picking up straight-set victories on courts two, three and six to clinch the match win.
The Cavaliers forced three-set matches on courts one, four and five. Johanson, who is ranked No. 43 in singles, won her first set on court one before falling to No. 18 Jones in a super tiebreak after splitting sets. Gullickson won her first set on court four before No. 33 Daavettila rallied to win the three-set match. Radosavljevic fought back to win the second set and force a third on court five before eventually falling to No. 79 Aney in the third.
No. 1 North Carolina 7, No. 21 Virginia 0
1. No. 18 Makenna Jones (UNC) def. No. 43 Rosie Johanson, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (8)
2. No. 25 Alle Sanford (UNC) def. Cassie Mercer, 6-3, 7-5
3. Alexa Graham (UNC) def. Meghan Kelley, 6-1, 6-1
4. No. 33 Sara Daavettila (UNC) def. Chloe Gullickson, 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. No. 79 Jessie Aney (UNC) def. Teodora Radosavljevic, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
6. Chloe Oullet-Pizer (UNC) def. Hunter Bleser, 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2, 4, 5, 1
1. No. 2 Aney/Graham (UNC) def. No. 22 Johanson/Kelley, 6-2
2. Gullickson/Mercer No. 16 Daavettila/Sanford (UNC), 5-5 (unfinished)
3. Akkerman/Jones (UNC) def. Bleser/Radosavljevic, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3