NASSAU, BAHAMAS. – Virginia (4-0) opened the game with a 9-0 run and led by as many as 24 in the 74-52 win over Middle Tennessee (3-2) in the Battle 4 Atlantis opening game.
Three players finished in double figures, led by De’Andre Hunter (Philadelphia, Pa.) and Kyle Guy (Indianapolis, Ind.) with 15 points apiece. Hunter also finished with a career-high nine assists and added eight rebounds. Braxton Key (Charlotte, N.C.) had a season-high 13 points and seven rebounds. The Cavaliers had 32 points in the paint and 25 points off turnovers in the contest.
Virginia will play Dayton on Thursday at 4 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Virginia had a 38-25 lead at the half, before Middle Tennessee opened the second half with five-straight points to cut the lead to eight. A three from Guy sparked a 9-0 run for the Cavaliers to take a 47-30 lead. The Blue Raiders cut it back to 11, but an 11-2 run put UVA ahead 60-40 to pull away.
THE GAME BALL GOES TO
De’Andre Hunter scored 15 points, dished out a career-high nine assists and added eight rebounds with one steal and one block.
• UVA has a nation-leading 22-game November winning streak dating back to the 2015-16 season
• Virginia is 111-6 when scoring 70 or more under Bennett
• Double-figure scorers: De’Andre Hunter (15), Kyle Guy (15), Braxton Key (13)
• Hunter had a career-high eight assists
• Key’s 13 points marked a season-high for the Alabama transfer
Virginia will continue play in the Battle 4 Atlantis as it takes on Dayton at 4 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 22.