COLUMBIA, S.C. – Three players scored in double-figures as No. 5 Virginia (10-0) won its 11th straight true road game with a 69-52 win at South Carolina (4-6) on Wednesday night at Colonial Life Arena.
Ty Jerome (New Rochelle, N.Y.) had a game-high 25 points, seven rebounds and six assists to lead the Cavaliers. Kyle Guy (Indianapolis, Ind.) had 18 points, with five 3-pointers, and Mamadi Diakite (Conakry, Guinea) added a season-high 10 points.
Virginia shot 44 percent from the field and 33 percent beyond the arc, while holding South Carolina to 36 percent. The Cavaliers had just five turnovers, but scored 14 points off 12 Gamecock turnovers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Diakite scored the first four points of the game as UVA took the lead early. Jerome scored 13-straight points for the Cavaliers in a five minute span of the first half to make it a 22-12 UVA lead. South Carolina cut it to one, but Guy and Jerome hit threes to make it a 33-26 UVA lead at the half.
Diakite scored the opening basket of the second half, then Virginia had a 17-4 run to open up a 52-35 advantage. Guy hit a three then converted a four-point play to put UVA in the lead 66-48, scoring 12 of his points in the second half.
THE GAME BALL GOES TO
Ty Jerome had 25 points (9-of-15 FGs) and seven assists. Jerome lifted UVA to a double-digit lead in the first half, scoring 11 points to four for the Gamecocks in a three minute span.
• Virginia has started 10-0 for the first time since starting 19-0 in 2014-15
• The win was UVA’s first in Columbia since 1967, breaking a four-game losing streak
• UVA has an 11-game true road winning streak
• Bennett recorded his 298th career win (229th at Virginia)
• Kihei Clark (2 points) played his second game with a cast on his left wrist. Clark had successful surgery to repair his broken wrist on Dec. 10.
• Jack Salt had a season-high nine rebounds
Virginia will host William & Mary on Saturday, Dec. 22 at 2 p.m. at John Paul Jones Arena before a break for the holidays.