CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- The Virginia men’s and women’s track and field teams will return to action this Friday (Jan. 18), competing in the two-day Keydet Invitational at the Corps Physical Training Facility in Lexington, Va.
Fans can follow the events with a link to live results, located at VirginiaSports.com. Updates throughout the competition will be available on the team’s official Twitter account (@UVATFCC).
Date: Friday, Jan. 18-Saturday, Jan. 19
Location: Corps Physical Training Facility- Lexington, Va.
• Friday: 9 a.m.
• Saturday: 8 a.m.
• The Cavaliers return to action for the two-day meet, after opening the season last weekend (Jan. 12) at the Nittany Lion Challenge.
• Virginia will compete against 22 programs over the weekend, including six student-athletes that hold a top-25 national ranking in an event. The women’s team will compete against High Point’s Nathalie Elliott (pole vault) and Norfolk State’s Kiara Grant (60m dash). The men’s team will face Roman Ollar (3000m run) and Marshall Beatty (3000m run) from Army West Point, Jacob Milton (high jump) from Norfolk State and Tayvon Burris (800m run) from Hampton.
In the Rankings
• Nace Plesko (Ljubljana, Slovenia) opened the season with a career-best mark in the shot put, reaching 18.27m (59’11.25″). The senior finished first at the Nittany Lion Challenge with the performance and ranks 19th in the nation.
• In his first collegiate competition, Trey Causey (Winchester, Va.) set a UVA freshman record and captured the fourth-best performance all-time in the high jump, clearing a height of 2.10m (6’10.75). His performance was the fourth-best nationally by a freshman and 24th-best overall.
• Two Cavalier women rank in the top 20 after the team’s opening meet. Redshirt senior Bridget Guy (Greensburg, Pa.) cleared a height of 4.15m (13’7.25″), an inch shy of her career-best. The mark ranks 14th nationally. After redshirting last season, sophomore Halle Hazzard (Commack, N.Y.) set a freshman record in the 60m dash, running a time of 7.41 to rank 19th.
Last Time Out
• Senior Ciara Leonard (Elkins Park, Pa.) and junior Anna Jefferson (Warren, Mich.) captured second-place finishes, competing in the 60m hurdles (8.64) and the 600m run (1:34.36), respectively.
• Redshirt junior Sam Young (Lewes Del.) opened the year with a win in the pole vault, clearing a height of 5.05m (16’6.75″).
• Freshman Ayende Watson (Baltimore, Md.) reached 7.27m (23’10.25″) in the long jump, capturing UVA’s fourth-best performance by a freshman.