CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- The Virginia men’s and women’s track and field teams will compete in the Liberty Flames Invite on Saturday (Feb. 2) at the Liberty Indoor Track Complex in Lynchburg, Va.
How to Follow
• Fans can follow the action with a link to live results, located at VirginiaSports.com.
• Updates throughout the meet will also be provided on the team official Twitter account (@UVATFCC).
• The Cavaliers will compete against host Liberty, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Howard, Maryland, Norfolk State and VCU. Campbell enters the meet as the lone top-25 program with its men ranking 24th in the USTFCCCA poll.
Hoos Setting New Standards
• Two Cavaliers set a school record last weekend as redshirt senior Bridget Guy (Greensburg, Pa.) topped the UVA record in the pole vault and redshirt freshman Halle Hazzard (Commack, N.Y.) raced past UVA’s record in the 60m dash.
• Guy cleared a height of 4.20m (13’9.25″), topping her previous record of 4.17m (13’8.25″) in the pole vault from 2016. Her performance was the 15th-best jump nationally and was the top jump at the Dr. Sander Columbia Challenge.
• Hazzard ran a time of 7.32, topping UVA’s previous record time of 7.37 set in 2003. Her time placed her third in the event at the Columbia Challenge and 20th nationally.
Last Time Out
• In addition to Guy and Hazzard, three Cavaliers recorded marks that rank in the top-five all-time at UVA, while one Hoo tied his career-best performance.
• Junior Jordan Scott (Portmore, Jamaica) recorded a career-best triple jump mark of 16.43m (53’11”), second best in school history – an achievement he already held.
• Junior Brenton Foster (Townsville, Australia) tied the second-best high jump height in school history, clearing 2.14m (7’0.25″).
• In the women’s weight throw, senior Jade Baker (North Richland Hills, Texas) threw a distance of 17.46m (57’3.5″), fourth-best in school history and sixth at the meet.
• Redshirt junior Sam Young (Lewes, Del.) tied his career-best height of 5.10m (16’8.75″) last weekend, to finish third at the Columbia Challenge
In the Rankings
• The Cavaliers have 10 performances that rank in the top 50 this season, as Scott paces the team with his triple jump performance (ranked fifth).
• The Cavaliers are also ranked in the men’s DMR (ranked 10th), while senior Nace Plesko (Ljubljana, Slovenia) holds a top 50 mark in the men’s shot put (ranked 31st), Foster and freshman Trey Causey (Winchester, Va.) are ranked in the high jump (ranked 29th and 46th, respectively) and junior AJ Ernst (Marblehead, Mass.) is ranked in the 3000m run (ranked 43rd).
• On the women’s side, Guy is ranked in the pole vault (ranked 15th), while Hazzard holds a top time in the 60m dash (ranked 20), junior Anna Jefferson (Warren, Mich.) holds a top time in the 400m dash (ranked 33rd) and junior Alexis Woodley (Chesapeake, Va.) holds a top time in the 60m hurdles (ranked 45).