CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. –The No. 18 Virginia women’s tennis team (7-1, 2-0 ACC) won both games of a doubleheader on Saturday (Feb. 16), taking a 5-2 win over Boston College (9-1, 1-1 ACC) in the first match of the day before downing George Mason (3-1) by a score of 4-0.
The two matches kicked off a five match homestand for the Cavaliers. Virginia will return to action on Tuesday (Feb. 19), hosting William & Mary in a 3 p.m. match.
No. 18 Virginia 5, Boston College 2
After dropping the doubles point, Virginia rallied in singles play, claiming five-of-six matches on the way to a 5-2 win over Boston College in the first match of the day.
With the win, Virginia improved to 22-0 all-time against the Eagles and snapped Boston College’s nine-match win streak to start the season.
Virginia powered to the victory with singles wins from senior Meghan Kelley (Falmouth, Maine), juniors Hunter Bleser (New Braunfels, Texas) and Chloe Gullickson (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.), sophomore Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) and freshman Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia).
Boston College took the doubles point with a pair of 6-4 wins on courts one and three. Virginia stormed out to the quick win on court two as the pairing of Glozman and Munera won 6-1 before the Eagles won a pair of nip-and-tuck battles on the other two courts.
Munera got the Cavaliers on the board with her straight-set win on court five, rallying in the first set before claiming the second with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Laura Lopez. Bleser then put Virginia in front for the first time on the afternoon with a gritty second-set victory on the way to a 6-1, 7-5 win over Maria Ross on court six.
Kelley, the No. 45 player nationally in singles, extended the lead to 3-1 in the overall score with her straight-set win over No. 76 Yufei Long on court one. Kelley defeated Long 6-4, 6-2.
Boston College would cut the overall lead to one with a win on court four as the Eagles’ Natasha Irani survived a second-set tiebreak against Amber O’Dell (New Milford, N.J.), 6-1, 7-6 (5).
Gullickson clinched the match with a three-set victory on court three over Jackie Urbinati, 6-0, 3-6, 6-3.
Glozman closed out the match with her win over nationally-ranked Kylie Wilcox in a three-set match on court two. After dropping the first set, Glozman fought back through a tight second set and cruised in the third on the way to the 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 victory over the No. 108 ranked Wilcox.
No. 18 Virginia, George Mason
The Cavaliers worked quickly in doubles, grabbing wins on courts one and three. The tandem of Gullickson and Erica Susi (Vero Beach, Fla.) won 6-0 on court three before the duo of Bleser and Kelley locked up the doubles point with a 6-1 win on court one.
Virginia then raced to the victory with singles wins on the top three courts as Glozman, Kelley and O’Dell all won in straight sets. O’Dell won first on court three, taking her match 6-0, 6-0 before Kelley pushed the Cavaliers to a 3-0 lead with her 6-1, 6-2 win on court two.
Glozman then closed out the match with a 6-2, 6-0 win on court two.
No. 18 Virginia 5, Boston College 2
1. No. 45 Meghan Kelley def. No. 76 Yufei Long (BC) – 6-4, 6-2
2. Vivian Glozman def. No. 108 Kylie Wilcox (BC) – 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. Chloe Gullickson def. Jackie Urbinati (BC) – 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
4. Natasha Irani (BC) def. Amber O’Dell – 6-1, 7-6 (5)
5. Sofia Munera def. Laura Lopez (BC) – 6-4, 6-3
6. Hunter Bleser def. Maria Ross (BC) – 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 1, 4, 3, 2
1. Yufei Long/Jackie Ubrinati (BC) def. Chloe Gullickson/Amber O’Dell – 6-4
2. Vivian Glozman/Sofia Munera def. Dasha Possakhova/Elene Tsokilauri (BC) – 6-1
3. Natsha Irani/Kylie Wilcox (BC) def. Hunter Bleser/Meghan Kelley – 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
No. 18 Virginia 4, George Mason 0
1. No. 45 Meghan Kelley def. Sydney Green (GMU) – 6-1, 6-2
2. Vivian Glozman def. Brianna Gibbs (GMU) – 6-2, 6-0
3. Amber O’Dell def. Rachel Yang (GMU) – 6-0, 6-0
4. Camille Favero vs. Hannah Harrod (GMU) – 6-3, 3-0 (unfinished)
5. Maya Das vs. Jackie Nannery (GMU) – 6-3, 3-0 (unfinished)
6. Christine McCarthy (GMU) vs. Lizzie Baker – 6-5 (unfinished)
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Hunter Bleser/Meghan Kelley def. Brianna Gibbs/Sydney Green (GMU) – 6-1
2. Vivian Glozman/Amber O’Dell vs. Hannah Harrod/Jackie Nannery (GMU) – 5-2 (unfinished)
3. Chloe Gullickson/Erica Susi def. Rachel Lee/Hannah Yang (GMU) – 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1