CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia Cavaliers (2-2) returns to action on Saturday, visiting the Syracuse Orange (2-1) at the Carrier Dome. Faceoff is set for noon. It is the ACC opener for both teams. UVA is ranked No. 10 in this week’s USILA coaches polls and No. 13 in the Inside Lacrosse/Maverick media poll. Syracuse is No. 14 in the coaches poll and No. 12 in the media poll.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Live stats will be available at VirginiaSports.com. The game will be televised live on ESPNU. Chris Cotter will call the play-by-play and Quint Kessenich will provide analysis. ESPN will also simulcast the broadcast on the WatchESPN app, or by logging onto ESPN3.com.
• Virginia men’s lacrosse players Patrick Burkinshaw and Ian Laviano swept the ACC Player of the Week honors on Feb 25.
• UVA has scored 45 goals through four games this year and have assisted 31 of them. That means UVA has recorded an assist on 68.9 percent of its goals in 2019.
• Dox Aitken is tied for No. 8 all-time at UVA among midfielders with 77 career goals. He is tied with Ryan Tucker (2012-15).
• Michael Kraus at least one point in all 36 career games he has appeared in. The active streak is No. 4 in the nation.
• The Cavaliers and Orange are meeting for the 36th time in series history, but are playing each other for only the sixth time as part of ACC play. Virginia has won nine of the last 16 regular-season meetings, but four of the last seven losses have come at the Carrier Dome (2011, 2013, 2015, 2017).
• Syracuse leads the series, 18-17, which mimics the back-and-forth scoring characteristic of the games between the two teams.
• Not only does Syracuse lead the series by one game, but also has scored one more goal than UVA when you combine all the games, 452-451. The last four games in the series have been decided by one goal, three of which have been won by Syracuse.
• The two schools battled only three times between 1938-93, but have met at least once each season since 1994.
• The regular-season series began in 1995.
• UVA led the series at the Carrier Dome, 4-3, heading into the 2011 meeting, but have lost four in a row in the Dome.
• UVA and Syracuse won four combined NCAA titles between 2006-11.
• John Desko is in his 21st season as the Orange’s head coach.
• Syracuse is coming off an 8-7 season in 2018 when they won the ACC regular season championship with a perfect 4-0 record.
• Bradley Voight leads Syracuse with seven goals, while Brendan Curry has a team-high 10 points and leads the Orange with four assists.
• Nate Solomon rounds out the top scorers with six goals.
• Drake Porter is saving 63.8 percent of shots he is seeing and is posting an 8.33 goals against average.
Virginia returns home on Sun., March 10 when Ivy League foe Brown comes to Klöckner Stadium. Faceoff is slated for 1 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.