CORAL GABLES, Fla. –The No. 19 Virginia women’s tennis team (16-7, 8-6 ACC) closed out the regular season on Saturday afternoon (April 13), dropping a 6-1 contest to No. 25 Miami (16-6, 9-5 ACC) at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Junior Chloe Gullickson (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) provided the lone point for the Cavaliers on the afternoon with her three-set victory at four singles over Ulyana Shirokova.
The Cavaliers will now prepare to compete at the ACC Championships at the Cary Tennis Complex in Cary, N.C., next week. Competition runs April 17-21. The brackets and seedings will be announced on Sunday evening.
Miami took the doubles court with a pair of victories on courts three and one, respectively. Miami claimed a 6-1 victory on court three before the Virginia duo of Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) and Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia) would take a 6-4 victory on court two. Miami then clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 victory on court one in a battle of nationally-ranked pairings.
After doubles, Miami won five singles matches to lock up the dual victory before Gullickson would get the Cavaliers on the board with her win at four singles.
Second-ranked Estela Perez-Somarriba won the only matchup of nationally-ranked players as she defeated No. 24 Meghan Kelley (Falmouth, Maine) at the top of the lineup to claim the first singles match of the day for the Hurricanes. Miami would then follow it with wins on courts five and two, respectively, to secure the win.
Victories for the Hurricanes on courts three and six then provided Miami the 6-0 advantage before Gullickson closed out the match.
No. 25 Miami 6, No. 19 Virginia 1
1. No. 2 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. No. 24 Meghan Kelley – 6-1, 6-1
2. Daevenia Achong (UM) def. Vivian Glozman – 6-4, 6-2
3. Yuna Ito (UM) def. No. 90 Amber O’Dell – 6-3, 6-4
4. No. 116 Chloe Gullickson def. Ulyana Shirokova (UM) – 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
5. Lucia Marzal (UM) def. Sofia Munera – 6-2, 6-4
6. Ana Madcur (UM) def. Camille Favero – 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 2, 3, 6, 4
1. No. 20 Daevenia Achong/Daniella Roldan (UM) def. No. 68 Chloe Gullickson/Amber O’Dell – 6-4
2. Vivian Glozman/Sofia Munera def. Estela Perez-Somarriba/Ulyana Shirokova (UM) – 6-4
3. Yuna Ito/Ana Madcur (UM) def. Hunter Bleser/Meghan Kelley – 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1