CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s and women’s swimming teams will open the 2019-20 season on Friday (Oct. 4) with the two-day Trojan Swim Invite hosted by Southern California at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center in Los Angeles, Calif.
Date: Friday, Oct. 4- Saturday, Oct. 5
Location: Uytengsu Aquatic Center- Los Angeles, Calif.
• Friday, Oct. 4 – 5 p.m. ET
• Saturday, Oct. 5 – 11:30 a.m. ET | 6 p.m. ET
• The Cavaliers will face Southern California, CSU Bakersfield and UC San Diego, in addition to swimming against members from the Trojan Swim Club and Team Elite San Diego.
• Virginia will look to build on the success of the 2018-19 season. The women’s team recorded the third-best finish in program history at the NCAA Championships, placing sixth at the national meet. The men’s team placed 10th, recording its best finish at the NCAA Championships since 2011.
• Southern California placed 20th on the men’s side and 10th on the women’s side at the NCAA Championships.
• UC San Diego captured a sixth-place finish at the women’s NCAA Division II Championships. The men finished 10th at the meet.
• The Cavaliers will go head-to-head against eight programs this season that finished in the top 25 at the NCAA Championships last year.
• The women will face Michigan (third place), NC State (seventh place), Tennessee (eighth place), Auburn (12th place), and Wisconsin (16th place) in dual meets.
• The men’s team will battle NC State (fourth place), Tennessee (11th place) and Michigan (13th place) during the year.
• The women’s team returns nine 2019 All-Americans to this year’s rosters, six of which earned the national honor in more than one event. Seven returning Cavaliers on the men’s team were named All-Americans at last year’s NCAA Championships.
• Both senior Morgan Hill (Olney, Md.) and redshirt senior Megan Moroney (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) recorded their 13th career All-America honor at the 2019 NCAA Championships, tying for ninth in all-time most All-America honors in program history.
• Hill finished the meet as a six-time All-American earning first-team honors in the 100-yard butterfly, 400-yard medley relay and 400-yard freestyle relay, and honorable mentions in the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle and 800-yard freestyle relay.
• Moroney earned first-team All-America honors in the 200-yard backstroke, 400-yard medley relay and 400-yard freestyle relay. She was named to the All-America honorable mentions team in the 200-yard freestyle and 800-yard freestyle relay.
• In addition to Hill and Moroney, juniors Paige Madden (Mobile, Ala.), Anna Pang (London) and Kyla Valls (Miami, Fla.) and freshman Alexis Wenger (Detroit, Mich.) earned All-America honors in more than one event.
• Senior Ryan Baker (Arlington, Va.), junior Keefer Barnum (Louisville, Ky.) and senior Joe Clark (Worcester Park, Great Britain) lead the men’s team after earning All-America honors in more than one event last season.
• All three athletes propelled the Cavaliers to All-America honorable mentions in the 200 and 400-yard medley relay, while Baker and Clark also aided the 800-yard freestyle team to first-team honors.
• Clark also earned All-America honorable mention in the 100-yard backstroke.