CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. –Director of track & field and cross country/associate athletics director of administration Vin Lananna announced the addition of 10 early signees to the men’s and women’s track & field and cross country programs on Monday (Dec. 23).
Trina Barcarola (Lake Ariel, Pa.), Claire Frazier Bolton (Mobile, Ala.), Abigail Comella (Wellesley, Mass.), Ellie Desmond (Ashburn, Va.), Keara Seasholtz (Wayne, Pa.), Nadia Saunders (Stony Point, N.Y.) and Anna Workman (Kingston, Ontario) will join the women’s program in the fall of 2020.
The men’s track & field and cross country team welcomed Liam Bellamy (Richmond, Va.), Conor Murphy (Providence, R.I.) and Wes Porter (Kansas City, Mo.) as early signees.
“I am pleased to announce the names of the early signees for this year’s class,” Lananna said. “Each scholar-athlete will help set the stage for our future. Early this spring we will acknowledge our second group of promising student-athletes who will join our talented team.”
Trina Barcarola | Pole Vault | Lake Ariel, Pa.
The staff says: Barcarola is a special talent who possesses exceptional speed as a pole vaulter. She is a great competitor and teammate.
• Pennsylvania state champion in the pole vault
• Won the Pennsylvania state title in the 100m hurdles
• Captured a personal-best jump of 12’6″ in the pole vault
Liam Bellamy | Middle Distance | Richmond, Va.
The staff says: Bellamy is a relative newcomer to the sports of track and cross country but has quickly demonstrated great potential in the middle-distance events.
• Was an 800m state champion at the VISAA Track & Field Championships
• Finished as the runner-up at the VISAA State Cross Country Championships
• Entered 2019-20 season ranked in the top-20 nationally in the 800m
Claire Frazier Bolton | Middle Distance | Mobile, Ala.
The staff says: Frazier is a rare talent from Alabama who should excel at state in the 800m and also the high jump.
• Was the 2019 Alabama high school state champion in 800m and the runner-up in the heptathlon
• Captured two top-eight finishes at the Alabama High School State Cross Country Championships
• Holds an 800m personal-best time of 2:14.40
Abigail Comella | Sprints | Wellesley, Mass.
The staff says: Comella is a promising student-athlete who’s been very successful in the long sprints. She has been a successful dual sport athlete for years. Comella will make an immediate impact on our program.
• Massachusetts state champion
• Holds a personal-best time of 24.94 in the 200m
• Captured a personal-best time of 54.90 in the 400m
Ellie Desmond | Distance | Ashburn, Va.
The staff says: Desmond is a fierce competitor who established herself as one of the top runners in Virginia this year in both cross country and track & field.
• Recorded five top-three finishes at the Virginia high school state meet
• Set the Panorama Farms high school cross country course record with a time of 17:56.50
• Holds a 1600m personal-best time of 4:50.09
Conor Murphy | Middle Distance | Providence R.I.
The staff says: Murphy is one of the top 800m runners in the country and we look forward to the immediate impact he will make on our program.
• Was the 2019 New Balance High School Nationals bronze medalist
• Enters his senior season ranked third nationally in the 800m
• Captured the 2019 Rhode Island state title in the 1000m
• Holds a personal-best time of 1:50.43 in the 800m
Wes Porter | Distance | Kansas City, Mo.
The staff says: One of the top returning milers in the country, Porter showed his range and great potential this fall with an undefeated regular cross country season.
• Was the 2019 Missouri cross country state champion
• Was the 2019 Missouri state runner-up in the 1600m
• Enters his senior season ranked ninth nationally in the mile run
• Holds a personal-best time of 4:10.21 in the mile
Keara Seasholtz | Middle Distance | Wayne, Pa.
The staff says: Seasholtz was a speedster on the soccer fields in the fall and on the track in the winter and spring; she looks forward to going “all in” on track in college.
• Won the 800m silver medal at the 2019 Pennsylvania High School State Track & Field Championships
• Captured the 2019 Central League title in the 400m
• Recorded an 800m personal-best time of 2:10.00
Nadia Saunders | Long Jump/Hurdles | Stony Point, N.Y.
The staff says: Saunders is an outstanding student athlete capable of helping our program in three events, the hurdles, long jump and her specialty the triple jump. Saunders will make an immediate impact at the collegiate level in the triple jump.
• Earned All-America honors in the triple jump
• All-state honoree in the long jump and triple jump
• Holds a personal-best jump of 19’2″ in the long jump and 41’6″ in the triple jump
• Ran a career-best time of 8.28 in the 55m hurdles and 14.52 in the 100m hurdles
Anna Workman | Middle Distance | Kingston, Ontario
The staff says: With a dominating kick, Workman has earned several championship medals in Ontario and is one of Canada’s top middle-distance runners.
• Was a four-time gold medalist at the Ontario High School Track & Field Championships
• Finished in the top four at the Ontario High School Cross Country Championships three times
• Holds a personal-best time of 4:23.06 in the 1500m
• Captured an 800m personal-best time of 2:08.55