CHICAGO – The No. 11 Virginia women’s tennis team (5-1) fell for the first time this season on Friday (Feb. 7), falling to No. 3 Georgia (5-0) by a score of 4-2 in the opening match of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship at the XS Tennis Village.
Virginia will now face sixth-seeded and sixth-ranked Pepperdine () in a consolation bracket match at 10 a.m. ET on Saturday (Feb. 8). The Waves dropped a 4-1 match with fifth-ranked Duke on Friday.
The Cavaliers took the early lead, capturing the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. The duo of Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) and Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, British Columbia) took a 6-2 win on court three before the tandem of Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia) and Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) would lock up the doubles point with a 6-1 win on court two.
Georgia would take the lead with back-to-back singles victories on courts six and four, respectively, before Johanson would win a three-set battle on court two. Johanson, the 55th-ranked singles player, would rally to defeat No. 18 Lea Ma by a score of 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2.
The Bulldogs then closed things out with three-set victories on courts one and three.
- Vivian Glozman was in the third set on court five when the match was clinched.
- Four of the six singles matches went to a third set.
- This is the first appearance at the ITA National Team Indoor since the 2016 dual season. That season, the Cavaliers went 1-2 in the annual event.
- Virginia is now 1-4 all-time against the Georgia Bulldogs.
No. 11 Virginia, No. 3 Georgia
1. No. 41 Katarina Jokic (UGA) def. No. 21 Natasha Subhash – 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
2. No. 55 Rosie Johanson def. No. 18 Lea Ma (UGA) – 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. No. 90 Marta Gonzalez (UGA) def. No. 78 Amber O’Dell – 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Anna Hertel (UGA) def. No. 87 Sofia Munera – 7-6 (4), 6-3
5. Vivian Glozman vs. Elena Christofi (UGA) – 7-6 (4), 4-6, 0-2 (unfinished)
6. No. 56 Meg Kowalski (UGA) def. Chloe Gullickson – 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 2, 1, 3
1. No. 59 Chloe Gullickson/Amber O’Dell vs. No. 42 Anna Hertel/Katarina Jokic (UGA) – 4-3 (unfinished)
2. Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash def. Elena Christofi/Marta Gonzalez (UGA) – 6-1
3. Vivian Glozman/Rosie Johanson def. Morgan Coppoc/Lea Ma (UGA) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2