CHICAGO – The No. 11 Virginia women’s tennis team (5-2) swept through doubles, but a tough singles lineup that featured the nation’s top-ranked player helped power No. 6 Pepperdine (3-1) as the Cavaliers fell to the Waves by a score of 4-2 in a consolation match at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.
Virginia secured the doubles point with a sweep of all three courts. The tandem of Sofia Munera (Pereria, Colombia) and Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) finished first on court two. The Cavaliers would then turn in near simultaneous finishes on courts three and one, respectively. Virginia’s Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) and Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, British Columbia) claimed a tiebreak on court three, while the 59th-ranked tandem of Chloe Gullickson (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) and Amber O’Dell (New Milford, N.J.) won on court one.
Pepperdine moved out in front, claiming three straight singles matches on courts three, five and one before Gullickson would put another point on the board for the Cavaliers with her win at six singles. The Waves would then clinch the victory with a win at four singles.
Virginia will close out its stay at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship on Sunday (Feb. 9) when the Cavaliers face No. 14 Arizona State (6-2) at 10 a.m. ET. Arizona State dropped its first two matches of the weekend to No. 2 North Carolina and No. 17 Princeton.
- Virginia has now won the doubles point in 6-of-7 dual matches this season
- The duo of Sofia Munera and Natasha Subhash are now 6-0 in doubles this dual season.
- Rosie Johanson was at deuce in the second set when the match was clinched.
No. 6 Pepperdine 4, No. 11 Virginia 2
1. No. 1 Ashley Lahey (PU) def. No. 21 Natasha Subhash – 6-3, 6-3
2. No. 37 Jessica Failla (PU) vs. No. 55 Rosie Johanson – 6-4, 5-5 (unfinished)
3. No. 36 Anastasia Iamachkine (PU) def. No. 78 Amber O’Dell – 6-4, 6-0
4. Astrid Olsen (PU) def. No. 87 Sofia Munera – 7-5, 6-4
5. No. 124 Lisa Zaar (PU) def. Vivian Glozman – 6-1, 6-3
6. Chloe Gullickson def. Daria Kuczer (PU) – 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 6, 4
1. No. 59 Chloe Gullickson/Amber O’Dell def. Anastasia Iamachkine/Astrid Olsen (PU) – 7-5
2. Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash def. Jessica Failla/Ashley Lahey (PU) — 6-3
3. Vivian Glozman/Rosie Johanson def. Daria Kuczer/Lisa Zaar (PU) – 7-6 (2)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1