CHICAGO – The No. 11 Virginia women’s tennis team (6-2) closed out the weekend at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Sunday (Feb. 9) with a 4-3 victory over No. 14 Arizona State (6-3).
Virginia secured the doubles point with wins on courts three and one, respectively. After the Cavaliers took a 6-1 win on court three, Arizona State claimed court two and the focus shifted to the battle of nationally-ranked doubles teams at court one. The No. 59 pairing of Chloe Gullickson (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) and Amber O’Dell (New Milford, N.J.) claimed that match 7-5 over the No. 55 pairing of Ilze Hattingh and Tereza Kolarova to put Virginia up 1-0 in the dual score.
The Cavaliers moved in front by a score of 2-0 with a victory at the top of the lineup in a battle of ranked foes as No. 21 Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) defeated No. 29 Ilze Hattingh by a score of 6-2, 6-3.
Arizona State would pull even in the dual score, winning back-to-back singles at six and two, respectively, before Virginia would move back in front with a win from O’Dell at the third spot in the lineup.
The Sun Devils would once again tie the match with a win on court five, but Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia) would clinch the victory at the four spot in the lineup with her rally after dropping the first set against Lauryn John-Baptiste.
Virginia will return to action next weekend, facing a nationally-ranked foe for the fourth consecutive match when the Cavaliers host No. 10 Michigan at the Boar’s Head Sports Club on Saturday (Feb. 15). First serve is set for 11 a.m.
- Virginia won the doubles point for the seventh time in eight matches this season.
- The Cavaliers are now 1-0 all-time against Arizona State with this being the first meeting.
- It is Virginia’s third win over a nationally-ranked team this season as UVA has faced five top-25 teams through its first eight matches this season.
- Virginia leaves the ITA National Team Indoor Championships with a 1-2 record in the event with three matches against top-15 teams.
No. 11 Virginia 4, No. 14 Arizona State 3
1. No. 21 Natasha Subhash def. No. 29 Ilze Hattingh (ASU) – 6-2, 6-3
2. Sammi Hampton (ASU) def. No. 55 Rosie Johanson vs. –6-4, 4-6, 6-1
3. No. 78 Amber O’Dell def. Tereza Kolarova (ASU) – 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. No. 87 Sofia Munera def. Lauryn John-Baptiste (ASU) – 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Cali Jankowski (ASU) def. Vivian Glozman – 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
6. Savannah Slaysman (ASU) def. Chloe Gullickson – 6-2, 7-6 (3)
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2, 3, 5, 4
1. No. 59 Chloe Gullickson/Amber O’Dell def. No. 55 Ilze Hattingh/Tereza Kolarova (ASU) – 7-5
2. Cali Jankowski/Savannah Slaysman (ASU) def. Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash – 6-3
3. Vivian Glozman/Rosie Johanson def. Sammi Hampton/Sasa Klanecek (ASU) – 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1