CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 13 Virginia women’s tennis team (7-2) continued its strong start to the season on Saturday (Feb. 15), posting a 4-1 victory over No. 12 Michigan (4-4) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. It was the third straight win over Michigan for the Cavaliers dating back to the 2018 season.
As has become a trend this season, Virginia took the early lead by claiming the doubles point with wins on courts three and one, respectively. The Cavalier duo of Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) and Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, British Columbia) won 6-2 on court three before Michigan would grab a 6-4 win on court two. The 59th-ranked pairing of Chloe Gullickson (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) and Amber O’Dell (New Milford, N.J.) then secured the doubles point with their 6-4 win on court one.
In singles action, the Cavaliers got a straight-set victory from No. 21 Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) over No. 35 Giulia Pairone to extend the Virginia lead to 2-0 in the dual score.
Michigan would get on the board with a straight-set victory at four singles before Johanson would put Virginia back on top by claiming a three-set battle at two singles against Nicole Hammond. The Cavaliers would then close things out as Glozman battled back to claim a three-set victory over No. 94 Alyvia Jones at five singles to secure the match.
- Virginia has won the doubles point in 8-of-9 matches so far this season.
- The Cavaliers improved to 6-2 all-time against the Wolverines with the victory.
- Chloe Gullickson had forced a third set at six singles and Amber O’Dell was close to winning her match at three singles when the match was clinched and play was abandoned.
- It was the fourth win over a nationally-ranked opponent this season as Virginia improved to 4-2 against top-25 teams through its first nine matches.
- Natasha Subhash picked up her 21st win of the year and sixth win in dual play with her singles victory.
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
Virginia will go on the road next Friday (Feb. 21) to face No. 17 Georgia Tech before returning home to host Clemson on Sunday (Feb. 23) in a noon match at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
No. 13 Virginia 4, No. 12 Michigan 1
1. No. 21 Natasha Subhash def. No. 35 Giulia Pairone (UM) – 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 55 Rosie Johanson def. Nicole Hammond (UM) – 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. No. 78 Amber O’Dell vs. No. 51 Andrea Cerdan (UM) – 6-3, 5-7, 5-2 (unfinished)
4. Chiarra Lommer (UM) def. No. 87 Sofia Munera – 6-3, 6-4
5. Vivian Glozman def. No. 94 Alyvia Jones (UM) – 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
6. Bella Lorenzini (UM) vs. Chloe Gullickson – 7-6 (3), 5-7, 1-0
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 5,
1. No. 59 Chloe Gullickson/Amber O’Dell def. Chiarra Lommer/Giulia Pairone (UM)– 6-4
2. Anca Craciun/Alyvia Jones (UM) def. Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash – 6-4
3. Vivian Glozman/Rosie Johanson def. Andrea Cerdan/Bella Lorenzini (UM) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1