CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The No. 13 Virginia women’s tennis team (8-4, 2-2 ACC) dropped a 6-1 contest on the road at No. 1 North Carolina (15-0, 3-0 ACC) on Friday at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
Virginia got a win from the doubles pairing of Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) and Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, British Columbia) on court three, but the Tar Heels claimed the doubles point behind wins from their nationally-ranked doubles teams on courts one and two.
With a 1-0 lead after doubles, the match moved to singles where the home-standing Tar Heels put five nationally-ranked singles players on the court, including three players ranked in the top 10 nationally. Virginia has four players nationally-ranked in singles.
North Carolina would move out to a 2-0 lead in the overall dual score with a win on court two, before No. 15 Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) would get the Cavaliers on the board with a 6-1, 6-2 win over No. 5 Alexa Graham at the top of the lineup. The Virginia freshman would be the only win on the afternoon in singles as North Carolina would close out the match with wins on each of the remaining courts to take the 6-1 victory.
- Freshman Natasha Subhash improved to 23-6 on the year and 13-4 against nationally-ranked opponents.
- Virginia duo Vivian Glozman and Rosie Johanson improved to 9-2 in doubles this season.
- It is only the second time this season that Virginia has not won the doubles point – the other being against No. 22 Tennessee in the ITA Kickoff Weekend regional final in Kansas.
UP NEXT FOR VIRGINIA
The Cavaliers will continue ACC play on the road this weekend, taking on No. 3 NC State at 1 p.m. on Sunday (March 1) at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center. The Wolfpack (16-2, 3-0 ACC) is coming off a 5-2 win over No. 12 Wake Forest on Friday afternoon.
No. 1 North Carolina 6, No. 13 Virginia 1
1. No. 15 Natasha Subhash def. No. 5 Alexa Graham (UNC) – 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 6 Sara Daavettila (UNC) def. No. 35 Rosie Johanson – 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 4 Cameron Morra (UNC) def. No. 89 Amber O’Dell – 6-3, 6-4
4. No. 43 Makenna Jones (UNC) def. No. 95 Sofia Munera – 6-2, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (8)
5. No. 39 Alle Sanford (UNC) def. Vivian Glozman – 6-2, 6-4
6. Anika Yarlagadda (UNC) def. Chloe Gullickson – 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (6)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 5, 6, 4
1. No. 4 Sara Daavettila/Alexa Graham (UNC) def. No. 41 Chloe Gullickson/Amber O’Dell – 6-2
2. No. 19 Makenna Jones/Allie Sanford (UNC) def. Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash – 6-4
3. Vivian Glozman/Rosie Johanson def. Cameron Morra/Elizabeth Scotty (UNC) – 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2