RALEIGH, N.C. – The No. 13 Virginia women’s tennis team (9-4, 3-2 ACC) went on the road and took a 4-3 victory over No. 3 NC State (16-3, 3-1 ACC) at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center on Sunday (March 1).
The win over the third-ranked Wolfpack is the first win over a top-five program for the Cavaliers since the 2016 season and the fifth in program history. Virginia clinched the win as freshman Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) fought her way to a three-set victory over No. 16 Alana Smith at the top of the lineup. The freshman, who is ranked No. 15 in singles, won her match 6-4, 5-7, 6-2.
Virginia won the doubles point, taking victories on courts two and three. The tandem of Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) and Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, British Columbia) defeated the 13th-ranked duo of Jaeda Daniel and Adriana Reami by a score of 6-3 on court two, before the duo of Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia) and Subhash clinched the doubles point by the same score on court three.
NC State got on the board in the dual with a straight-set victory at two singles before Munera would win at four singles and Chloe Gullickson (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) would win at six singles to put the Cavaliers up 3-1 in the dual.
The Wolfpack tied things up with back-to-back victories on courts three and five, respectively, as the deciding point came down to the three-set battle at the top of the lineup. Subhash turned in a convincing third-set performance to clinch the victory for the Cavaliers.
- Virginia wins the doubles point for the 11th time in 13 matches this season.
- It’s the first win over a top-five opponent since the 2016 season when Virginia defeated No. 3 UNC in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament. It is only the fifth win vs. a top-five team in program history.
- Subhash improved to 24-6 in her freshman campaign and is 14-4 against nationally-ranked opponents. She is now 9-4 in dual matches this season playing at the top of the lineup.
- In doubles, Glozman and Johanson improved to 10-2 on the season, while Munera and Subhash are now 12-3 as a doubles team.
No. 13 Virginia 4, No. 3 NC State 3
1. No. 15 Natasha Subhash def. No. 16 Alana Smith (NCSU) – 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
2. No. 32 Anna Rogers (NCSU) def. No. 35 Rosie Johanson – 6-4, 6-2
3.. 37 Adriana Reami (NCSU) def. No. 89 Amber O’Dell – 7-5, 6-2
4. No. 95 Sofia Munera def. Lexi Keberle (NCSU) – 6-1, 6-3
5. Jaeda Daniel (NCSU) def. Vivian Glozman – 6-4, 6-4
6. Chloe Gullickson def. Lana Mavor (NCSU) – 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 6, 3, 5, 1
1. No. 2 Anna Rogers/Alana Smith (NCSU) def. No. 41 Chloe Gullickson/Amber O’Dell – 6-2
2. Vivian Glozman/Rosie Johanson def. No. 13 Jaeda Daniel/Adriana Reami (NCSU) – 6-3
3. Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash def. Lana Mavor/Liz Norman (NCSU) – 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3