CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia Cavaliers (4-1) make their first road trip of the season, heading to Providence, R.I., to face the Brown Bears (2-2) on Sunday afternoon. Faceoff is set for noon at Stevenson-Pincince Field. Sunday will be the first time UVA plays men’s lacrosse in the state of Rhode Island. UVA is ranked No. 8 in this week’s USILA coaches poll and Inside Lacrosse/Maverick media polls.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Live stats will be available at VirginiaSports.com. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN+. Mike Rubin will call the play-by-play, while Mike Mancuso will provide analysis. ESPN+ can be viewed on the WatchESPN app, or by logging onto ESPN.com/watch for those who have an ESPN+ membership.
• Virginia leads the nation in ground balls with 44.2 per game. UVA has led the nation in ground balls in six of the last 11 years, including the last three in a row.
• Dox Aitken’s career 119 goals are the most in the nation among active midfielders. No other active midfielder has over 100 goals.
• Michael Kraus has at least one point in all 54 of his career games. That streak is tied for the longest active streak in the nation entering the weekend.
• Ian Laviano needs three goals to become the 18th Cavalier all-time to notch at least 100 career goals.
• This is the 14th all-time meeting between UVA and Brown, but only the fifth time the series has been contested on either one of the school’s campuses. UVA has hosted Brown four times, while the series is being played at Brown in Providence, R.I., for the first time.
• UVA leads the all-time series, 12-2, winning last year in Charlottesville, 14-13, in overtime. The last Brown win came in 2016 in the ACC Showcase game in Kennesaw, Ga. Current UVA head coach Lars Tiffany was the Brown coach for the 2016 meeting.
• The 2016 meeting was the last game Hall of Fame UVA head coach Dom Starsia coached for Virginia. Starsia, like Tiffany, is a Brown alum. Starsia coached Tiffany at Brown.
• Mike Daly is in his fourth season as the Brown head coach.
• Previously, Daly was the head coach at Tufts where he won three NCAA DIII titles. Current UVA assistant coach Sean Kirwan was a student-athlete for Tufts’ 2010 title and an assistant coach for their 2014 title.
• The Bears are 2-2 in 2020 and coming off back-to-back overtime losses, one at Stony Brook and most recently to cross-city rival Providence.
• Luke McCaleb and Jack Kniffin lead the way for Brown with 10 goals apiece. McCaleb has a team-high 15 points and Darian Cook has a team-best seven assists.
• Ryan Aughavin is second on the team with 14 points, while Cook is third with 13.
• Matthew Gunty is winning 70.8 percent (34-of-48) of his draws at the faceoff X, while Matt McShea is winning 55.8 percent (24-of-43).
• Phil Goss is saving 56.1 percent of shots between the pipes and posting a 9.04 goals against average.
UVA returns to the road on Sat., March 14 at No. 4 Maryland, in the first regular season meeting between the old rivals since 2014. The game will faceoff at 1 p.m. and will air either on the Big Ten Network or Big Ten Network+.