CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 14 Virginia (11-3, 7-1 ACC) travels to NC State (7-6, 3-5 ACC) for an ACC contest on Wednesday, Feb. 3. Tipoff at PNC Arena is set for 9 p.m. on ACC Network and Virginia Sports Radio Network.
• No. 14 Virginia (11-3, 7-1 ACC) travels to NC State (7-6, 3-5 ACC) in ACC action on Wednesday, Feb. 3.
• As of Feb. 1, Virginia ranks second nationally in personal fouls per game (12.7) and turnovers per game (8.6), third in free throw percentage (80.4), sixth in assist/turnover ratio (1.65), eighth in scoring defense (59.9), 15th in 3-point field goal percentage (39.3) and 21st in field goal percentage (49.5).
• UVA’s recent 15-game ACC winning streak tied for longest in school history (2017-18).
• The Virginia-NC State game will be televised on ACC Network and streamed online at WatchESPN.com and ESPN App.
• The game will also be broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
• Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
• Join the Voice of the Cavaliers Dave Koehn and special guest Chase Coleman for the “Wahoo Walkthrough” at 8 p.m. on the Virginia Sports App, VirginiaSports.com and select stations on the Virginia Sports Radio Network.
The Head Coach
• Three-time National and four-time ACC Coach of the Year Tony Bennett has a 288-99 (.744) mark in 12 seasons at Virginia and 357-132 (.730) career mark in 15 seasons.
• Bennett led the Cavaliers to their eighth straight season with 23 or more wins in 2019-20.
• In 2018-19, Bennett led the Cavaliers to their first NCAA national championship, a share of their ninth ACC regular-season title and school-record 35 wins.
• UVA is 143-59 (.708) in ACC play (81-20 at home & 62-39 away), 161-29 (.847) at home and 145-40 (.784) in non-conference action (82-7 at JPJ) under Bennett.
• Bennett ranks fifth all-time in winning percentage at .708, among ACC head coaches with 100 or more ACC regular-season wins.
All-Time vs. NC State
• Virginia is 67-83 all-time vs. NC State in the series that dates back to 1912-13.
• UVA has a six-game road winning streak in the series.
• The Cavaliers are 12-1 in their last 13 regular-season games against NC State and 13-3 in their last 16 games including a pair of losses in the ACC Tournament.
• The Wolfpack snapped the Cavaliers’ 12-game regular-season winning streak (eight-game winning streak overall) with their 53-51 at John Paul Jones Arena last season.
• UVA has limited the Wolfpack to 56 or fewer points in eight of the last nine games in the series.
• Tony Bennett is 13-3 vs. NC State as head coach at Virginia.
Last Time vs. the Wolfpack
• DJ Funderburk scored 14 points and C.J. Bryce added 13 as NC State edged Virginia 53-51 last year at John Paul Jones Arena.
• Kihei Clark scored 10 points for Virginia, who overcame an 11-point deficit with a 15-0 run to grab a 46-42 lead.
• The Cavaliers held the Wolfpack scoreless for 10:13 during its season-high scoring run.
• UVA outrebounded NC State 40-30, but shot 7 of 24 in the second half in its third home loss.
• Casey Morsell tallied nine points and five rebounds off the bench, and Francisco Caffaro had six points in 10 minutes of action.
Hoo Are These Cavaliers?
• Kihei Clark, Sam Hauser and Jay Huff lead the Cavaliers into action at NC State.
Clark, who dished out a season-high nine assists vs. Syracuse, has averaged 9.8 points and team-high 4.1 assists.
• Hauser leads the team in scoring (14.6 ppg) and rebounding (7.2 rpg), and is shooting 50.3 percent from the field and 42 percent from 3-point range.
• Huff leads the team in blocked shots (2.4 bpg) and 3-point percentage (50%), and is second in scoring (13.8 ppg) and rebounding (6.1 rpg).
• Trey Murphy III (10.8 ppg) ranks second in 3-point percentage (49.2%) and made 3-pointers (33).
• Reece Beekman has a team-high 22 steals, 40 assists and 40 rebounds.
• Casey Morsell (6.7 ppg) is UVA’s top perimeter defender.
• Justin McKoy (3.7 ppg and 3.0 rpg), Tomas Woldetensae (38.7 3FG%) and Kadin Shedrick (3.5 ppg & 2.9 rpg) have added depth, while Kody Stattmann (4.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg) remains sidelined with a non-COVID-19 related cardiac issue.
UVA Ranked No. 14 in Latest AP Poll
• Virginia is ranked No. 14 in the latest Associated Press poll.
• UVA has been ranked in the top 25 of the AP poll for 13 straight weeks over the past two seasons.
• UVA was ranked No. 4 in both preseason polls, marking its third AP preseason top-5 ranking in school history (No. 1 in 1982-83 and No. 5 in 2018-19).
• UVA has been ranked in the top 25 in the preseason rankings in nine of the past 10 seasons.
Last Time Out
• Keve Aluma scored a game-high 29 points and added 10 rebounds as then-No. 20 Virginia Tech defeated then-No. 8 Virginia 65-51 at Cassell Coliseum on Jan. 30.
• Virginia Tech trailed the Cavaliers, 47-44, but went on a 19-0 run to claim the win.
• The Cavaliers were held scoreless for 7:13 during the run.
• Jay Huff led UVA with 13 points, Kihei Clark scored 10 and Sam Hauser and Trey Murphy III added 10 each, respectively.
• UVA went 10 of 28 from 3-point range and was outrebounded 30-24.
• UVA shot a season-low 36.5 percent, while the Hokies converted 50 percent.
On The Horizon
• No. 14 Virginia hosts Louisville on Saturday, Feb. 6. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 4 p.m. on ESPN and Virginia Sports Radio Network.