CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 10 Virginia women’s soccer team (8-3-1) opens the spring portion of its 2020-21 campaign on Sunday (Feb. 28) when the Cavaliers hosting George Mason (0-1) in a 2 p.m. contest at Klöckner Stadium.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
The match against the Patriots will be streamed on ACC Network Extra (ACCNX) which is available through the ESPN app to customers who have the ACC Network as part of the television package. Links to the stream and live stats are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWomenSoccer).
A LOOK BACK AT THE FALL
• Virginia posted an 8-3-1 record in the fall, finishing third in the ACC standings with a 5-2-1 mark in ACC play.
• The Cavaliers advanced to the semifinals of the ACC Tournament before falling to then No. 1 North Carolina.
• Midfielder Lia Godfrey was named the ACC Freshman of the Year.
• Five players earned All-ACC honors with Alexa Spaanstra named to the first team. Godfrey, Rebecca Jarrett and Diana Ordonez were named to the second team. Samar Guidry and Godfrey were named All-Freshman honorees.
• The 12 games played in the fall count toward selection for the NCAA Tournament which will happen in April.
NCAA TOURNAMENT MOVES TO SPRING
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NCAA Championship was moved to the spring and soccer is competing in a spring season. Selections for the NCAA Tournament are set to be announced on April 17 with a 48-team field. The format for the early rounds of the tournament has not been announced by the NCAA at this time, but the final rounds will be played at WakeMed Soccer Park (May 13-17).
SPAANSTRA NAMED TO MAC HERMANN TROPHY WATCH LIST
Junior forward Alexa Spaanstra has been named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch list for the spring it was announced by the United Soccer Coaches. The award recognizes the national player of the year. Virginia’s Morgan Brian won the award twice in back-to-back seasons, claiming the honor in 2013 and 2014. The 2021 winners will be announced May 27.
THE SERIES WITH GEORGE MASON
Virginia leads the all-time series with the Patriots 12-8-3 and have posted a 6-2-1 record in games played at Klöckner Stadium. The Cavaliers have won seven consecutive meetings in the series dating back to the 1998 season.
A LOOK AT THE PATRIOTS
George Mason opened its season on Thursday when the Patriots faced Georgetown, falling in a 2-0 contest to the Hoyas. In 2019, the Patriots went 3-11-3, scoring 18 goals with Jisca Adigo and Kayla Hamrick leading the way offensively with three goals and three assists last season.