CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia Cavaliers (4-1) return to action on Saturday afternoon, hosting the Air Force Falcons (1-2) at Klöckner Stadium. Faceoff is set for 4 p.m. UVA is ranked No. 8 in this week’s USILA coaches poll and No. 9 in the Inside Lacrosse media polls.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Live stats will be available at VirginiaSports.com. The game will be broadcast live on ACCNX. William Foshee will call the play-by-play. ACCNX can be viewed on the WatchESPN app, or by logging onto ESPN.com/watch for participating TV providers that carry the ACC Network. For more information on how to get the ACC Network, visit GetACCN.com.
• Matt Moore needs five goals to become the 19th Cavalier in program history to reach 100 career goals.
• Charlie Bertrand has at least one goal in all 63 game of his college career. His active goal streak and point streak are the longest in the nation among all DI players. His 63 goal-scoring streak is a collegiate record spanning DI, DII and DIII lacrosse.
• UVA is No. 9 in the nation in caused turnovers per game (9.80), No. 3 in the nation in opponent clearing percentage (.718) and No. 1 in the nation in ground balls per game (44.80)
• FO Petey LaSalla is No. 8 in the nation with 8.00 ground balls per game and No. 17 in faceoff winning percentage with a 61.3 percent success rate.
• Payton Cormier leads UVA with 14 goals in just five games. He had 12 goals in UVA’s six games in 2020. Cormier also has at least a hat-trick in six of his 11 career games.
• Saturday marks the third all-time meeting between Air Force and Virginia in men’s lacrosse. Last year’s March 1 meeting at Klöckner Stadium was the first meeting in the series since 2004. The series is tied, 1-1.
• UVA holds a 39-3 all-time advantage over current teams from the Southern Conference.
• Then-No. 8 Virginia cruised to a home victory over the Air Force Falcons, 15-5, at Klöckner Stadium the last time these teams met. It ended up being the final home game of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic canceling the season on March 12.
• Bill Wilson is in his third full season as the head coach at Air Force after serving most of the 2018 season as the interim head coach. The Falcons went 4-3 in 2020 before the season was canceled due to the pandemic, which included wins over then-No. 5 Duke, Utah and St. Bonaventure.
• Matthew O’Rourke and Quincy Peene lead Air Force with four goals each. Ethan Grandolfo has a team-high three assists.
• Braden Host is saving 49.4 percent of shots between the pipes and is posting a 13.90 goals against average.
Due to health and safety considerations, in addition to the current guidelines for sports venues set by the Commonwealth of Virginia, attendance for UVA home lacrosse competitions will be limited to the family of student-athletes and coaching staff until further notice.
UVA returns to action on Thursday night for a showdown with No. 1 North Carolina at Klöckner Stadium. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the game will be televised live on ACC Network.