CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 4 Virginia Cavaliers (10-3) used an 8-0 run over the second and third quarters to cruise past the Utah Utes (3-6) on Saturday afternoon, 18-11, at Klöckner Stadium. UVA had 10 goal scorers behind hat-tricks from Connor Shellenberger and Peter Garno.
Utah took a 6-5 lead with 11:57 left in the second quarter after scoring back-to-back goals. Ryan Rogers scored his first goal of the season to cap Utah’s 2-0 run. UVA responded with an 8-0 run and held the Utes scoreless for the next 20:52 of game time to take a commanding 13-6 lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Xander Dickson found a cutting Ian Laviano toward the goal with 10:50 left in the first half to tie the game, 6-6. After Laviano’s goal the Cavaliers were off to the races. On the ensuing faceoff, which was won by UVA’s Petey LaSalla, a scrum off a blocked shot in front of the Utah crease saw the ball carom off Grayson Sallade into the goal to give UVA the lead for good, 7-6.
LaSalla was a perfect 10-of-10 in the second period from the faceoff X, helping seven-different Cavaliers score during the 8-0 run with Laviano the only UVA player to score twice during the streak. Dickson capped the run with 11:20 left in the third quarter.
The 8-0 run was part of a larger 13-2 run that spelled the difference in the game. A Will Cory unassisted goal with 5:38 left to play capped the run and the UVA scoring.
UVA STAT LEADERS
• M Connor Shellenberger
• M Peter Garno
• M Petey LaSalla
1 assist, 11 GBs, 20-of-26 FO
• LSM Jared Conners
1 assist, 12 GBs, 2 CTs
• A Matt Moore
2 goals, 2 assists
• M Xander Dickson
1 goal, 3 assists
• Dox Aitken and Jared Conners played in their 72nd career game, passing Bray Malphrus (2008-11) for the program record in career games played.
• Conners had a career-high 12 ground balls.
• Matt Moore finished two goals and two assists. The two assists gives him 100 for his career and making him the fifth Cavalier in program history with 100 career goals and 100 career assists. He joins Kevin Pehlke, Danny Glading, Steele Stanwick and Michael Kraus.
• Moore is just the 10th Cavalier all-time to notch 100 career assists.
• With one goal, Charlie Bertrand tallied his 300th career point. He is one of three active players with 300+ career points currently playing DI.
• UVA held Utah scoreless for 20:52 over the second and third quarters, which is the longest scoring drought by an opponent this season.
• With 20 faceoff wins, Petey LaSalla became just the third Cavalier to notch 500 career faceoff wins. With 509 career wins he sits 30 behind No. 2, Jason Hard (539).
• LaSalla has won 20+ faceoffs four times this season. Prior to 2021 the accomplishment only happened 12 times.
• UVA has won 10 games in a season for the third time under Lars Tiffany out of the four seasons the Cavaliers have played at least 10 games.
FROM THE LOCKER ROOM
“I continue to be impressed by our entire team’s energy throughout games. From the men on the field to the men off the field on the sideline. It’s been special in 2021 how much the entire team stays energized and focused and loud during these games. I’m really grateful for the men on this team and how intense we are for those two hours. We continue to be very good in two specialty areas – Alex Rode had 11 saves at the half – this game could have been a whole lot closer, if not tied, without Alex playing so well in the goal – and, of course, Petey LaSalla and all the extra possessions he provides our offense. I’m a very fortunate coach to have such an edge in possessions and saves.”-Lars Tiffany
UVA concludes its regular season slate on Saturday, April 24 against Syracuse at Klöckner Stadium. Faceoff is set for 12 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPNU.