CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 13 Virginia women’s soccer team (13-4-2) continues play at the NCAA Tournament on Sunday (May 9) when the Cavaliers face No. 4 TCU (12-1-2) in a 5 p.m. match at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C.
The Cavaliers are the only unseeded team left in the tournament field, while TCU is seeded fourth. The winner advances to the College Cup and will face the either top-seeded Florida State or ninth-seeded Duke in a semifinal match on Thursday, May 13.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
Sunday afternoon’s match will be available on live stream at GoHeels.com/watch and live stats will be provided by the NCAA. Links to both the streaming broadcast and the live stats are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWomenSoccer).
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE HOOS
Virginia advanced to the quarterfinals by posting a 3-0 victory over Rice in the Sweet 16 on Wednesday night. Sophomore forward Diana Ordoñez (Prosper, Texas) tallied a hat trick in the victory for her second hat trick of the season and third of her career. Laurel Ivory (Surfside, Fla.) posted her second consecutive clean sheet as the Cavalier defense held Rice to only two shots on the night and Ivory made a save on the one shot on goal.
NOTING THE CAVALIERS
• Diana Ordoñez extended her team lead in points to 29 this season as she now has 12 goals and five assists
• Alexa Spaanstra is behind her with 22 points after tallying braces in the first two NCAA tournament matches
• Spaanstra has 10 goals on the season with a pair of assists to give UVA two players in double-digit goals
• Lia Godfrey added her team-leading eighth assist and is now tied for first in the ACC and 12th nationally in assists
• Laurel Ivory picked up her 51st career victory and 31st career shutout, putting her third in both categories at UVA
THE SERIES WITH TCU
This is the first meeting between Virginia and TCU in women’s soccer.
NOTING THE HORNED FROGS
• TCU enters the Elite Eight matchup after advancing past Georgetown in a shootout following a 1-1 draw
• The Horned Frogs won the Big 12 championship this season after going 8-0-1 in league play
• Midfielder Yazmeen Ryan leads TCU in points with 20 off seven goals and six assists this season
• Forward Grace Collins has a team-leading eight goals this season and has added two assists
• As a team, TCU has scored 30 goals and allowed only eight by opponents this season
• Goalkeeper Emily Alvarado has eight shutouts and has made 58 saves on 175 shots and allowed seven goals
VIRGINIA IN THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS
• The Hoos have been a mainstay in the NCAA Tournament with 33 appearances overall and 27 straight berths.
• The 33 appearances is second all-time, while the 27 straight appearances is the second longest active streak.
• Virginia holds a 47-28-7 record in matches played in the NCAA Tournament all-time
• The Cavaliers have out-scored opponents 175-to-89 in NCAA Tournament matches all-time
• UVA is making its seventh appearance in the quarterfinals under head coach Steve Swanson and first since 2015