ORLANDO, Fla. –Virginia women’s tennis freshman Emma Navarro (Charleston, S.C.) and senior Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, Canada) have advanced to the semifinals of the 2021 NCAA Women’s Tennis Doubles Championship with a victory on Wednesday (May 26) at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla.
Navarro and Johanson downed Jayci Goldsmith and Tatiana Makarova of Texas A&M 6-3, 6-1. The Aggie duo is ranked No. 20 in the latest ITA doubles rankings. Navarro and Johanson are ranked No. 21.
The Cavalier duo will face Kylie Collins and Lulu Sun of Texas on Thursday at 4 pm in the semifinals. Collins and Sun are currently ranked No. 19. Navarro will also be playing in the NCAA Singles Semifinals at noon. She is the only player in this year’s tournament to have advanced to both the singles and doubles semifinals.
The tournament came to an end for Virginia’s other doubles team with sophomore Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) and junior Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia) falling 6-3, 6-3 while facing the 4-seed, North Carolina’s Makenna Jones and Elizabeth Scotty.
NCAA Doubles Results
- R32: Johanson/Navarro (UVA) def. 5/8 Giavara/Ivanov (Cal) 4-6, 7-6 (2), 1-0 (7)
- R16: Johanson/Navarro (UVA) def. Corley/Corely (OK) 6-4, 6-2
- QF: Johanson/Navarro (UVA) def. Goldsmith/Makarova (TAMU) 6-3, 6-1
- R32: Subhash/Munera (UVA) def. Okalova/Ploner (TULSA) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10)
- R16: Subhash/Munera (UVA) def. Zein/Kessler (Fla.) 6-2, 6-4
- QF: 4 Jones/Scotty (UNC) def. Subhash/Munera (UVA) 6-3, 6-3