HAMPTON, Va. — The University of Virginia, who advanced to the round of 16 at the NCAA Championships this year, took home all of the individual wards for the 2020-21 VaSID All-State University Division Women’s Tennis team announced on Tuesday.
Freshman Emma Navarro captured the NCAA Singles Championship and earned VaSID Player and Rookie of the Year honors, while Sara O’Leary was named Coach of the Year.
Navarro had an incredible freshman season with a 25-1 record to win the national crown. She also made the national semifinals in doubles with Rosie Johanson. Navarro was the ITA Atlantic Region, ITA National and ACC Freshman of the Year. In the national title match, Navarro avenged her only loss on the year with a 6-3, 6-1 win for the crown.
O’Leary guided the Cavaliers to the Round of 16 at the NCAA Championship and the semifinals of the ACC Championship this season as Virginia went 16-7. The Cavaliers finished ranked ninth nationally in the ITA rankings , while having two doubles teams advance in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history.
VaSID names 44 all-state teams in 23 sports each year, as well as an Academic All-State squad and an all-sports champion in both the University and College Divisions. Membership in VaSID is open to all media relations professionals working at a university or conference in the state of Virginia.
2020-21 VASID WOMEN’S TENNIS UNIVERSITY DIVISION ALL-STATE
Player of the Year: Emma Navarro, University of Virginia
Rookie of the Year: Emma Navarro, University of Virginia
Coach of the Year: Sara O’Leary, University of Virginia
All-State First Team
- Paola Exposito Diaz-Delgado, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Rosie Johanson, University of Virginia
- Emma Navarro, University of Virginia
- Mila Saric, College of William & Mary
- Yuliia Starodubtseva, Old Dominion University
- Natasha Subhash, University of Virginia
- Emma Navarro/Rosie Johanson, University of Virginia
- Mila Saric/Vitoria Okuyama, College of William & Mary
- Natasha Subhash/Sofia Munera, University of Virginia
All-State Second Team
- Daria Afanasyeva, James Madison University
- Holly Hutchinson, Old Dominion University
- Salma Loudili, Radford University
- Esther Lovato, Liberty University
- Tatsiana Sasnouskaya, Old Dominion University
- Dessi Zlateva, University of Richmond
- Daria Afanasyeva/Alexis Franco, James Madison University
- Alexandra Almborg/Eloise Saraty, Liberty University
- Holly Hutchinson/Tatsiana Sasnouskaya, Old Dominion University