CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 3 Virginia women’s soccer team (2-0-0) continues to play on the road Thursday (Aug. 26) when the Cavaliers face George Mason (0-2-0) at George Mason Stadium in a 7 p.m. contest.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
The match will be broadcast through ESPN+ which is a subscription-based service through the ESPN app and WatchESPN.com. Live stats will also be provided for the match and links to both the stream and live stats are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWomenSoccer).
• Virginia enters the week at No. 3 in the United Soccer Coaches poll, moving up a spot from the preseason
• The Hoos are coming off a 1-0 victory at No. 12 West Virginia in the first ranked matchup of the season for UVA.
• Diana Ordoñez hit the game-winning goal – her eighth in her career – off a pass from Samar Guidry.
• Ordoñez now leads the Cavaliers with three goals after a brace in the season opener against Richmond.
• The Hoos have six different goal scorers through two games this season and seven players with an assist.
• Virginia has posted back-to-back shutouts this season and have six consecutive shutouts including last season.
• The Cavaliers have gone 639:35 since the last goal surrendered in the NCAA Tournament opener vs. SIUE.
• Keeper Laurel Ivory has gone 618 minutes in goal since her last goal surrendered in that time. Her streak is fourth all-time at UVA and she holds three of the top 10 streaks, including the second all-time at 775 minutes.
THE SERIES WITH GEORGE MASON
• Virginia leads the all-time series with George Mason 13-8-3 and has won nine straight in the series.
• The series began in 1985 with the Patriots claiming the first five meetings between the two teams.
• Virginia is 3-3-2 in games played at George Mason with the last meeting there coming in the 2001 season.
LAST TIME OUT AGAINST THE PATRIOTS
• Virginia and George Mason faced off in February with the Cavaliers taking the 2-0 victory to kick off the spring.
• The Cavaliers got goals from Lia Godfrey and Rebecca Jarrett in the win over the Patriots.
• Godfrey’s game-winner was unassisted, while Talia Staude assisted on the Jarrett goal.
• The Virginia defense limited the Patriots to one shot as Laurel Ivory picked up the shutout
A LOOK AT GEORGE MASON
• The Patriots enter the matchup with an 0-2 record after falling to Delaware and Maryland in the opening week.
• Senior defender Shannon Lee scored in the match with Delaware and has four career goals and four assists.
• Forward Dacheka Kolcum led GMU with two goals and an assist last season as a junior and returns for 2021.
• Senior keeper Louisa Moser has 10 saves this season and has four career shutouts with an 11-8-2 record through 33 games played in her career.
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
Virginia will return to action on Sunday (Aug. 29), hosting George Washington in a 2 p.m. contest at Klöckner Stadium on ACCNX.