CHARLESTON, S.C. – Two members of the Virginia women’s tennis team will be competing at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s first national tournament of the year, the ITA Women’s All-American Championships by LTP in Charleston, S.C.
Freshmen Melodie Collard and Elaine Chervinsky played in the singles qualifying tournament on Monday. They were slated to play in the doubles main draw but withdrew from the competition.
Both players fell in the opening round of the singles qualifying tournament. Collard, the No. 9 seed, fell 6-1, 6-0 against Kylie Collins of Texas. Chervinsky was edged 7-6 (8), 6-3 by Dana Guzman of Oklahoma in her opener.
Collard was down 4-3 in a back draw match against Anna Campana when she retired from play. Chervinsky was scheduled to play a rain-delayed consolation match against Lisa Zaar of Pepperdine.
Since 1983, the ITA Women’s All-American Championships have featured the nation’s top NCAA Division I players and have been a pioneer in women’s college tennis. The event has created milestones that over the years have directly influenced the popularity of women’s collegiate tennis.
q64 Kylie Collins (Texas) def. Melodie Collard (Virginia) 6-1, 6-0
q64 Dana Guzman (Oklahoma) def. Elaine Chervinsky (Virginia) 7-6, 6-3
- Main Draw Singles(32 players):
- 24 Automatic qualifiers/At-Large/Wild Cards (regional reps, preseason national rankings)
- 8 qualifiers
- Qualifying Singles(64 players):
- 36 Regional Representatives
- 15 At-Large Selections
- 8 Freshman/Newcomer
- 4 Wildcards
- 1 National Summer Championships finalist
- Main Draw Doubles(32 teams):
- 16 At-Large & Returning ITA All-American teams
- 12 Regional Representatives
- 3 Wildcards
- 1 National Summer Championships Champion
- Monday, October 4 – Tuesday, October 5 | Qualifying
- Singles Draw of 64
- Wednesday, October 6 – Sunday, October 10 | Main Draw
- Singles Draw of 32
- Doubles Draw of 32