CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia head wrestling coach Steve Garland announced the signing of transfer Gabe Christenson on Wednesday (Nov. 24). Christenson will transfer into the Cavalier program from the University of Iowa.
“We are excited to add a wrestler of Gabe’s caliber to our program,” Garland said. “He is a very accomplished guy who comes in with some big accolades. But, more important than his wrestling ability, we are excited to bring in a guy from a great family and a guy that believes what we believe. He’s a culture guy that will help us in many ways beyond the mat.”
Christenson redshirted at Iowa last season at 197 pounds after a decorated high school career in Iowa that saw him claim a pair of state championships, multiple All-America honors and national recognition.
He is the latest addition announced by the Cavaliers after Garland announced a signing class of 10 wrestlers earlier in the fall that included six of the top 100 wrestlers in the nation, multiple state champions, All-Americans and national champions.
Gabe Christenson | Runnels, Iowa | Southeast Polk HS (University of Iowa)
• Two-time Fargo All-American
• Two-time UWW Cadet All-American
• Two-time Iowa state champion (2019, 2020)
• Four-time Iowa state place winner – finished fourth in 2018 and sixth in 2017
• Two-time first team All-State selection (2019, 2020)
• Mr. Dan Gable Wrestler of the Year finalist (2020)
• Team MVP at Southeast Polk in 2020
• Helped lead Southeast Polk to three dual state championships and one traditional state championship
• No. 49 recruit on FloWrestling’s Big Board in the class of 2020