CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 9 Virginia women’s tennis team (4-0) opened up ITA Kickoff Weekend with a 4-0 victory against James Madison (1-1) on Friday (Jan. 28) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
With the victory, the Cavaliers advance to play either No. 16 Stanford or Arkansas on Saturday, Jan. 29 at 3:30 p.m. in the championship match. The winner will earn a place in the field of 16 teams for the 35th Annual ITA National Team Indoor Championships, being held Feb. 11-14 in Madison, Wisc.
James Madison will play in the consolation final on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.
Virginia won the doubles point with 6-1 and 6-2 wins on courts three and two. Senior Sofia Munera put the Cavaliers ahead 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-2 win on singles court four. Sophomore Sara Ziodato followed with a 6-3, 6-1 win on court five. Freshman Elaine Chervinsky clinched the win on court two with a 6-0, 6-3 win. Both sophomore Emma Navarro and Natasha Subhash were points away from winning their matches on courts one and three when play was suspended.
FROM HEAD COACH SARA O’LEARY
“It was a great start to the tournament for us. I thought I thought we came out strong in doubles and just really excited to play and about this opportunity. We knew JMU was going to be a tough team. They compete really well. We were ready for them and competed well across the board.
“It’s such a great advantage to be playing on our home court. We have amazing fans and the community supports us so well. We’re very fortunate to be here. Obviously, we’re comfortable with our facility, but it’s the fans that make the biggest difference. We’re hoping a lot of people can come out tomorrow.”
#9 Virginia 4, James Madison 0
- Emma Navarro (VA) vs. Daria Afanasyeva (JMU) 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
- #90 Elaine Chervinsky (VA) def. Natalia Nikolopoulou (JMU) 6-0, 6-3
- #29 Natasha Subhash (VA) vs. Kylie Moulin (JMU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
- Sofia Munera (VA) def. Amanda Nord (JMU) 6-1, 6-2
- Sara Ziodato (VA) def. Hope Moulin (JMU) 6-3, 6-1
- Hibah Shaikh (VA) vs. Daniela Voloh (JMU) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
- Emma Navarro/Amber O’Dell (VA) vs. Daniela Voloh/Michelle Los Arcos (JMU) 5-3, unfinished
- Elaine Chervinsky/Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Daria Afanasyeva/Kylie Moulin (JMU) 6-2
- Sofia Munera/Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Amanda Nord/Natalia Nikolopoulou (JMU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,5,2)
T-1:48 A-51Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,6,3,5,4)
Attendance: 38 Time:1:40