DURHAM, N.C. – The No. 12 Virginia women’s tennis team (10-2, 2-1 ACC) suffered a 4-3 loss at No. 9 Duke (7-1, 3-0 ACC) on Friday (March 4) at the Ambler Tennis Center in Durham, N.C.
Virginia won the doubles point and picked up wins on the number one and six singles courts.
The Cavaliers got off to a hot start with sophomores Emma Navarro and Hibah Shaikh winning 6-0 on doubles court one. Duke picked up a 6-4 win on court three, but seniors Sofia Munera and Amber O’Dell won 6-4 on court two to clinch the point.
In singles, Shaikh and Navarro both won their singles matches in straight sets. Shaik went 6-1, 6-2 against Ellie Coleman on court six and Navarro topped No. 19 Georgia Drummy 6-2, 6-4 to give UVA a 3-1 lead. Duke tied the match with straight-set wins on courts five and three.
O’Dell bounced back from a 6-1 loss in her first set on court four against Emma Jackson with a 6-2 victory in the second set to force a decider. Jackson took the third set 6-1 to clinch the victory for the Blue Devils.
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers close out the weekend by playing at No. 1 North Carolina (14-0, 3-0 ACC) on Sunday, March 6 at 2 p.m.
- The match will take place at the Chapel Hill Tennis Club as the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center is under renovation
- Live scoring will be available for the match
#9 Duke 4, #12 Virginia 3
- #28 Emma Navarro (VA) def. #19 Georgia Drummy (DU) 6-2, 6-4
- #11 Chloe Beck (DU) def. #15 Natasha Subhash (VA) 6-0, 6-1
- Kelly Chen (DU) def. Sofia Munera (VA) 6-3, 6-3
- #53 Emma Jackson (DU) def. Amber O’Dell (VA) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
- Margaryta Bilokin (DU) def. Sara Ziodato (VA) 6-1, 6-3
- Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Ellie Coleman (DU) 6-1, 6-2
- Emma Navarro/Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Georgia Drummy/Karolina Berankova (DU) 6-0
- Sofia Munera/Amber O’Dell (VA) def. #32 Chloe Beck/Margaryta Bilokin (DU) 6-4
- Ellie Coleman/Eliza Omirou (DU) def. Natasha Subhash/Sara Ziodato (VA) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,1,3,5,4)