CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The No. 12 Virginia women’s tennis team (10-3, 2-2 ACC) suffered a 4-1 loss at No. 1 North Carolina (15-0, 4-0 ACC) on Sunday (March 6) at the Chapel Hill Tennis Club in Chapel Hill, N.C.
Emma Navarro picked up the lone point for the Cavaliers with a 6-3, 6-3 victory against No. 7 Camron Morra on the top court.
The two teams split results on doubles courts one and two with Navarro and Hibah Shaikh winning 6-3 on the top court and the Tar Heels winning 6-4 on court two. The third court was tied 6-6 and went to a tiebreaker. Junior Natasha Subhash and sophomore Sara Ziodato fell 7-4 in the breaker as UNC clinched the point.
In singles, Subhash bounced back from a 6-2 loss in her first set against No. 13 Elizabeth Scotty with a 6-1 win in the second set to force a third set. Subhash trailed 5-1 in the decider when play was abandoned.
Shaikh battled for a 7-5 victory in her first set against No. 25 Carson Tanguilig on court five. She was up 5-2 in the second set when play was abandoned.
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers have a bye week next week before returning home to host Florida State on Friday, March 18 at 3 p.m. on the outdoor courts of the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort
#1 North Carolina 4, #12 Virginia 1
- #28 Emma Navarro (VA) def. #7 Cameron Morra (NC) 6-3, 6-3
- #13 Elizabeth Scotty (NC) vs. #15 Natasha Subhash (VA) 6-2, 1-6, 5-1, unfinished
- #10 Reilly Tran (NC) def. Sofia Munera (VA) 6-2, 7-5
- #35 Fiona Crawley (NC) def. Amber O’Dell (VA) 6-4, 6-2
- #25 Carson Tanguilig (NC) vs. Hibah Shaikh (VA) 5-7, 2-5, unfinished
- Anika Yarlagadda (NC) def. Sara Ziodato (VA) 6-2, 6-1
- Emma Navarro/Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Cameron Morra/Reilly Tran (NC) 6-3
- Elizabeth Scotty/Alle Sanford (NC) def. Amber O’Dell/Sofia Munera (VA) 6-4
- Carson Tanguilig/Fiona Crawley (NC) def. Natasha Subhash/Sara Ziodato (VA) 7-6 (7-4)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,4,3)