CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 6 Seed Virginia (18-12) will play No. 11 Seed Louisville (13-18) in the second round of the 2022 New York Life ACC Tournament on Wednesday, March 9. Tipoff at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. is set for 9:30 p.m. on ESPN2.
• Jayden Gardner was named to the All-ACC third team, while Reece Beekman was named to the ACC All-Defensive team. In addition, Beekman and Kihei Clark earned All-ACC honorable mention honors.
• UVA is 8-1 all-time at Barclays Center.
• The Virginia-Louisville game will be televised on ESPN2 and streamed online at WatchESPN.com and ESPN App.
• The game will also be broadcast on Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
• Live statistics will be available on VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coach
• Dean and Markel Families Head Men’s Basketball Coach Tony Bennett has a 313-115 (.731) mark in 13 seasons at UVA and 382-148 (.721) career mark in 16 seasons as a head coach.
• Bennett won his 300th game at Virginia with the 61-43 victory against Lehigh on Nov. 26, 2021.
• The three-time National (2007, 2015 and 2018) and four-time ACC Coach of the Year (2014, 2015, 2018 and 2019) guided the Cavaliers to their 10th ACC regular-season championship in 2020-21.
• In 2018-19, Bennett led the Cavaliers to their first NCAA national championship, a share of their ninth ACC regular-season title and a school-record 35 wins.
• Bennett has led UVA to 10 consecutive postseason appearances (2012-21) and seven consecutive NCAA tournaments (2014-21).
• Bennett led the Cavaliers to 30 wins in back-to-back seasons two times (2014-2015 and 2018-19).
• UVA is 161-70 (.700) in ACC play (90-25 at home & 71-45 away), 177-36 (.831) at home and 152-45 (.772) in non-conference action (86-9 at JPJ) under Bennett.
• Bennett ranks fifth all-time in winning percentage (.700) among ACC head coaches with 100 or more ACC wins.
UVA All-Time in the ACC Tournament
• Virginia will be the No. 6 seed for the ACC Tournament for the ninth time in school history and second under head coach Tony Bennett (2017 & 2022).
• The Cavaliers are 43-63 all-time in the ACC Tournament and 4-1 in Brooklyn including the 2018 tournament title.
• UVA captured ACC Tournament titles as the No. 6 seed in 1976, No. 1 seed in 2014 and No. 1 seed in 2018.
• The Cavaliers were the No. 1 seed in the 2021 ACC Tournament, defeating Syracuse in the quarterfinals.
• UVA advanced to the 2021 ACC Tournament semifinals vs. Georgia Tech, but the game was canceled due to COVID-19 issues within the UVA program.
• UVA has posted a 6-7 mark as the No. 6 seed in the ACC Tournament.
• UVA has advanced to the ACC Tournament semifinals in six of the last seven ACC tournaments.
• Bennett is 12-8 all-time in the ACC Tournament.
Hoo Are These Cavaliers?
• The Cavaliers play defense, take good shots, share and take care of the basketball, rebound, and play more defense.
• UVA is led by its backcourt of Kihei Clark (10.2 ppg & 4.3 apg) and Reece Beekman (8.1 ppg, 4.9 apg, 3.7 rpg & 2.1 spg), and the additions of transfers Jayden Gardner (15.2 ppg & 6.9 rpg) and Armaan Franklin (11.5 ppg).
• The Cavaliers added transfers Gardner (East Carolina) and Franklin (Indiana) to fill the void left by standouts Sam Hauser (16 ppg), Jay Huff (13 ppg) and Trey Murphy III (11.3 ppg).
• Gardner averaged 18.5 points and 8.9 rebounds in 79 career games at East Carolina, while Franklin averaged 11.4 points and shot 42.5 percent from 3-point range in 2020-21.
• Francisco Caffaro (4.5 ppg & 4.5 rpg) and Kadin Shedrick (7.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg & 2.0 bpg) anchor the paint. Shedrick started the first 16 games, while Caffaro has started the last 14 contests.
• Kody Stattmann (37.3% 3FGs), Malachi Poindexter, Taine Murray, Igor Miliĉić Jr. and Carson McCorkle provide perimeter depth off the bench.
Virginia All-Time vs. Louisville
• Virginia is 19-5 all-time vs. Louisville in a series that began in 1923-24.
• UVA has a four-game winning streak vs. Louisville and has won 13 of the last 14 meetings.
• UVA is 14-2 vs. Louisville, including a 1-0 mark in the ACC Tournament, since the Cardinals joined the ACC.
• Tony Bennett is 13-2 vs. Louisville as head coach at Virginia.
Last Time Out
• Kadin Shedrick scored a career-high 20 points and Reece Beekman recorded his first double-double with 15 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and five steals to lead • Virginia to a 71-61 win at Louisville on March 5.
• Beekman became the first ACC player since Iman Shumpert (Georgia Tech) in 2011 to record a 15-10-5-5 game.
• Armaan Franklin added 13 points and Kody Stattmann matched a career best with 11.
• UVA (18-12, 12-8 ACC) shot 51 percent and outrebounded Louisville 32-30.
• Sydney Curry led the Cardinals (12-18, 6-14 ACC) with 24 points and 14 rebounds.
On The Horizon
• The winner of the Virginia-Louisville ACC Tournament second round game advances to the ACC quarterfinals vs. No. 3 seed North Carolina on Thursday, March 10. Tipoff at Barclays Center is set for 9:30 p.m. on ESPN.