CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 11 Virginia women’s tennis team (11-3, 3-2 ACC) opened the weekend with a 6-1 victory against Florida State (7-7, 1-5 ACC) on Friday (March 18) at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort.
Virginia won the doubles point and picked up wins on four singles courts. The Seminoles were playing shorthanded and forfeited the sixth singles slot.
Virginia got off to a hot start with two dominant doubles victories, with junior Natasha Subhash and freshman Elaine Chervinsky winning on 6-0 on court three and sophomores Emma Navarro and Hibah Shaikh closing out a 6-1 victory on the top court to secure the point.
Virginia went into singles play with a 2-0 lead because of the forfeit. Navarro made it 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 win against No. 16 Petra Hule. Shaikh clinched the victory with a 6-2, 6-2 win on court four.
Florida State picked up its point after Subhash was edged 11-9 in a third-set super tiebreaker on court two.
Chervinsky won a three-setter on court three 6-1, 1-6, 6-3 to make it 5-1. Sophomore Sara Ziodato closed out a long two-set battle, 7-6 (1), 6-2 to give UVA the 6-1 victory.
- Florida State is ranked No. 59 in the latest ITA team rankings
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers close out the weekend by hosting No. 10 Miami on Sunday, March 20 at 11 a.m. at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort
#11 Virginia 6, #59 Florida State 1
- #5 Emma Navarro (VA) def. #16 Petra Hule (FSU_W) 6-3, 6-2
- Vic Allen (FSU_W) def. #26 Natasha Subhash (VA) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (9)
- #50 Elaine Chervinsky (VA) def. Anna Arkadianou (FSU_W) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
- Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Kianah Motosono (FSU_W) 6-2, 6-2
- Sara Ziodato (VA) def. Olympe Lancelot (FSU_W) 7-6 (1), 6-2
- Nicole Kiefer (VA) def. No player (FSU_W) w, forfeit
- Emma Navarro/Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Petra Hule/Anna Arkadianou (FSU_W) 6-1
- #73 Amber O’Dell/Sofia Munera (VA) vs. Vic Allen/Kianah Motosono (FSU_W) 3-3, unfinished
- Elaine Chervinsky/Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Olympe Lancelot/Lesedi Jacobs (FSU_W) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,2,3,5)