NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The No. 11 Virginia women’s tennis team (13-4, 5-3 ACC) picked up a 6-1 victory against Notre Dame (9-8, 2-5 ACC) on Sunday (Mar. 27) at the Eck Tennis Pavilion in Notre Dame, Ind.
The Cavaliers and Fighting Irish split results on doubles courts two and three. Sophomore Emma Navarro and Hibah Shaikh won the deciding match on the top court, 7-5, to give UVA a 1-0 lead.
Navarro won 6-2, 6-2 against Page Freeman on court one to make it 2-0. Junior Natasha Subhash closed out a 6-3, 6-1 victory to put UVA up 3-0. Senior Sofia Munera clinched the victory with a 6-4, 6-1 win on court three. Senior Amber O’Dell added a fifth point with a 6-2, 6-3 victory on court five. After Notre Dame’s Meghan Coleman pulled out a three-set win on court six to make it 5-1, Shaikh finished off the match with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 victory on four.
- Notre Dame is ranked No. 46 in the latest ITA team rankings
- Virginia’s last three victories have all been by a 6-1 final score
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers play at Virginia Tech on Saturday, April 2 in the Smithfield Commonwealth Clash before returning home for their Senior Day match on Friday, April 8 against Wake Forest
Virginia 6, Notre Dame Fighting Irish 1
- Emma Navarro (VA) def. Page Freeman (ND-W) 6-2, 6-2
- Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Julia Andreach (ND-W) 6-3, 6-1
- Sofia Munera (VA) def. Carrie Beckman (ND-W) 6-4, 6-1
- Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Nibedita Ghosh (ND-W) 7-6 (0-3), 6-3
- Amber O’Dell (VA) def. Maria Olivia Castedo (ND-W) 6-2, 6-3
- Meghan Coleman (ND-W) def. Sara Ziodato (VA) 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Emma Navarro/Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Page Freeman/Maria Olivia Castedo (ND-W) 7-5
- Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Julia Andreach/Meghan Coleman (ND-W) 6-3
- Carrie Beckman/Nibedita Ghosh (ND-W) def. Amber O’Dell/Sara Ziodato (VA) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2,3,5,6,4)