CLEMSON, S.C. – The No. 8 Virginia women’s tennis team (17-4, 9-3 ACC) opened the weekend with a 7-0 victory at Clemson (10-12, 2-10 ACC) on Friday (April 15) at the Duckworth Family Tennis Center in Clemson, S.C.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point and four of the six singles matches in straight sets.
After dropping No. 1 doubles 6-1, the Cavaliers won 6-4 and 6-2 on courts two and three to take the point.
In singles, Sara Ziodato won 7-5, 6-1 on court six followed by a 6-0, 7-5 win by Emma Navarro on court one to put UVA ahead 3-0. Sofia Munera won the clincher on court three 7-5, 6-0. Natasha Subhash followed with a 7-6 (0), 6-0 win on court two. Amber O’Dell had won her first set 7-5 against Samantha Buyckx before dropping her second 6-3. She won the third-set super tiebreaker 10-5 to put UVA ahead 6-0. Hibah Shaikh rebounded from dropping her first set 6-1 to win the second 6-2. She and Ali Despain played a full third set, with the final frame going to a tiebreaker. Shaikh won it 7-2 to take the match and preserve the Cavalier sweep.
The Cavaliers head into their final match of the regular season on a six-match win streak.
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia closes out the regular season at Georgia Tech (13-8, 8-4 ACC) on Sunday, April 17 at 12 p.m.
#8 Virginia 7, #57 Clemson 0
- #1 Emma Navarro (VA) def. Eleni Louka (CLE) 6-0, 7-5
- #34 Natasha Subhash (VA) def. #106 Cristina Mayorova (CLE) 7-6 (7-0), 6-0
- Sofia Munera (VA) def. Jenna Thompson (CLE) 7-5, 6-0
- Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Ali DeSpain (CLE) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
- Amber O’Dell (VA) def. Samantha Buyckx (CLE) 6-5, 3-6, 10-5
- Sara Ziodato (VA) def. Lana Sipek (CLE) 7-5, 6-1
- #70 Samantha Buyckx/Ali DeSpain (CLE) def. #11 Emma Navarro/Hibah Shaikh (VA) 6-1
- Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Cristina Mayorova/Eleni Louka (CLE) 6-4
- Amber O’Dell/Elaine Chervinsky (VA) def. Daniella Medvedeva/Jenna Thompson (CLE) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,3,2,5,4)