CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia men’s lacrosse head coach Lars Tiffany announced the addition of defenseman Griffin Kology on Friday (Aug. 19). Kology (Chatham, N.J.) comes to UVA as a sophomore after playing for the University of Richmond in 2022, where he started in 15 out of 16 total games at close defense, and helped the Spiders secure their third SoCon title since the program’s inception in 2015.
“What a great opportunity for UVA and our team defense,” said Tiffany. “To have Griffin join our program is to bolster our defense athletically, instinctually and strategically. Griffin has benefitted from fantastic coaching at Chatham High School, and with Dan Chemotti’s University of Richmond program for one year. Griffin proved to us first-hand on the field in April that he can effectively cover elite dodgers and be a communicative, reliable defenseman in a slide scheme. He will push for significant playing time right away.”
During his freshman campaign, Kology was named Second Team All-SoCon and an All-Freshman Team selection after boasting 21 caused turnovers, good for second on the team and sixth in the conference. He also collected 21 ground balls on the season, including a career-best six against the Cavaliers on April 2.
Kology’s older brother, Kyle, was a defenseman for Virginia from 2018-21, and helped UVA claim back-to-back national titles in 2019 and 2021.
Kology is set to begin training with the Cavaliers in the fall of 2022.
#29 Griffin Kology • D • 6-2 • 200 • Chatham, N.J. • Chatham HS
UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND
- Second Team All-SoCon & All-Freshman selection (May 3)
- Started in 15 out of the Spiders’ 16 total games at close defense
- Caused a career-high five turnovers and picked up two ground balls against Mercer (April 16)
- SoCon Defensive Player of the Week (April 4)
- Picked up a career-high six ground balls and caused one turnover against then-No. 2 Virginia (April 2)
- Posted two caused turnovers against No. 4 Georgetown (March 12) and UMBC (March 20)
- Caused three turnovers against St. Bonaventure (March 1)
- Made his first career start against Marist (Feb. 19)
- Caused one turnover and picked up one ground ball against Marist
- Made his collegiate debut against No. 4 North Carolina (Feb. 11)
- US Lacrosse All-American (2021)
- Chatham Defensive MVP (2021)
- Group 3 State champion (2021)
- NJAC First Team All-Conference (2021)
- Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference First Team (2021)
- Pitt Fitch First Team All-League (2021)
- Pitt Fitch All-League Honorable Mention (2019)
- Played club for Leading Edge
- Son of Kevin and Gail Kology
- Has two sisters, Regan and Lara, and one brother, Kyle
- Brother, Kyle, played lacrosse at Virginia from 2018-21 and was member of the 2019 and 2021 national championship teams
- Sister, Regan, swam for Harvard (2014-18)
- Sister, Lara, plays lacrosse at University of Florida
- Cousin, John Crotty, played basketball at UVA from 1987-91, and played in the NBA from 1992-2003.
- AP Scholar
- Member of National Honor Society
- “UVA offers everything I want in a college experience. The academics are great, and the town of Charlottesville is a special place. The school has a long history of incredible school spirit and culture. Also, the lacrosse program is stellar.”