CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 8 Virginia women’s soccer team (2-0-0) goes on the road for the first time this season when the Cavaliers face No. 11 Georgetown (1-0-1) in a 4 p.m. contest at Shaw Field on Thursday (Aug. 25).
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
The match between the Cavaliers and the Hoyas will be streamed on FloSports and is available via subscription. Live stats will also be provided and links to both the stream and live stats can be found at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWomenSoccer).
• Virginia enters the second week of play ranked No. 8 nationally by the United Soccer Coaches.
• UVA started the season ranked No. 4 for the second consecutive year and went 2-0 in week one.
• Thursday’s game at Georgetown is the first ranked matchup of the year for the Hoos and is a continuation of a young, but tightly contested series between the two programs.
• The Hoos play seven-of-eight non-conference games at home this season as part of an 18-game schedule that features six matches against teams in the preseason top 25.
• Freshman Maggie Cagle tallied three assists in the opening weekend, connecting on the game winner in the opener and a pair of assists in the second game against Loyola Maryland.
• Cagle assisted on the game-winning goal in both contests this season, connecting on the first goal against Loyola Maryland and the third was with freshman Jill Flammia against Loyola.
• Rebecca Jarrett returned to the pitch in the opener, scoring the game-winning goal vs. GMU.
• In the opener, transfer Chloe Japic delivered an assist while freshman Maya Carter got in the ledger with her first collegiate goal.
• Lia Godfrey assisted twice on goals against Loyola Maryland and is the active NCAA leader in assists per game with 0.51 assists per game for her career.
• Junior Sarah Brunner delivered her first multiple-goal game with a brace against the Greyhounds.
• Veterans Alexa Spaanstra and Jarrett have scored in both games played for UVA this season.
• Haley Hopkins and Spaanstra are two of only five players active in the NCAA with 30 goals and 20 assists for their careers. Hopkins has 42 goals and 22 assists (106 points) while Spaanstra has 31 goals and 29 assists (91 points) to rank second and fourth, respectively, among the five players.
THE SERIES WITH GEORGETOWN
• Virginia and Georgetown have met four times in program history with the series tied 2-2-0 between the squads.
• The home team has won each meeting in a young series that has only seen four meetings since the first in 2013.
• UVA won the last meeting between the teams, taking a 2-0 victory at Klöckner Stadium in the 2019 season.
• Rebecca Jarrett assisted on both goals in that win – connecting with Diana Ordoñez and Meghan McCool.
• Georgetown won both games at Shaw Field in 2016 with a 3-2 victory in the regular season and 2-0 win in the NCAA Tournament.
A LOOK AT THE HOYAS
• Georgetown is coming off a win over UMass Lowell after playing to a draw at Penn State in the season opener.
• Henley Tippins is Big East Freshman of the Week after a goal at Penn State and two against UMass Lowell.
• As a unit, Georgetown has scored five goals and allowed only two this season – surrendering one each game.
• Despite five goals, the Hoyas have only one assist that came from the foot of Gia Vicari at No. 14 Penn State.
• The Hoyas have taken 33 shots this season and allowed only 15 with keeper Cara Martin making five saves.