STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – The No. 3 seed Virginia women’s soccer team (15-3-3) will face No. 2 seed Penn State (15-4-3) in a Sweet 16 matchup at Jeffrey Field on Sunday (Nov. 20). Kick is set for 5 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
Sunday afternoon’s match will be streamed on ESPN+ and live stats are also available with links to both at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWomenSoccer).
• Virginia is coming off a 3-1 victory over Xavier in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday.
• The Cavaliers got a first-half brace from junior midfielder Lia Godfrey to take the early lead on the Musketeers.
• Freshman Maggie Cagle added the third and final goal for the Cavaliers in the second half.
• The win pushed Virginia into the Sweet 16 for the 17th time in the last 18 seasons.
• Virginia and Penn State are facing each other for the chance to advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament.
• The winner of Sunday’s contest will face the winner of No. 1 seed UCLA and No. 4 seed Northwestern.
• The Cavaliers are looking to make a ninth appearance in the quarterfinals with a win on Sunday.
THE SERIES WITH PENN STATE
• It’s a tight series between the teams with Penn State holding an 8-7-1 lead in the all-time series.
• The Nittany Lions took the lead in the series with a 4-2 victory in the last meeting in the 2021 season.
• Virginia had won five consecutive matches in the series prior to the Penn State win last season in Charlottesville.
• The teams have met three times in NCAA play with Virginia leading 2-1-0 in those three contests.
• Sunday will mark the third time the Hoos and Nittany Lions have faced off in NCAA play at Penn State.
• The only other meeting in the NCAA Tournament was a neutral-site match at Georgetown in 2016.