CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia wrestling team (0-0) hosts its first dual of the season on Sunday night (Nov. 20) when the Cavaliers take on No. 15 Northwestern (0-0) at 7:30 p.m. at Memorial Gym. Admission to all home Virginia wrestling duals is free to the public.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
Sunday night’s dual will be streamed live on ACCNX which is available through the ESPN app and at WatchESPN.com to customers who have the ACC Network through their television providers. Live results are also available and linked at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWrestling).
• The Cavaliers will be competing in the first dual of the season when they take the mat on Sunday.
• It is the only home dual of the fall before the Cavaliers host four duals in the spring.
• Virginia is coming off a pair of tournament competitions to start the season after traveling to the Southeast Open followed by the Mountaineer Invitational and Open hosted by App State.
• The Hoos had five champions with 18 placewinners at the Southeast Open and followed it up with six champions with 24 placewinners across both fields at the Mountaineer Invitational and Open.
• The Cavaliers have four individual wrestlers in the national rankings this week with Justin McCoy leading the way as the ninth-ranked wrestler at 165 pounds by InterMat.
• Also ranked are Jarod Verkleeren (No. 29/22 at 149 pounds), Jake Keating (No. 23/24 at 157 pounds) and Neil Antrassian (No. 31/HM) at 184 pounds.
VIRGINIA PROBABLES (Ranking Listed Is InterMat)
125: Patrick McCormick
133: Garrett Grice OR Marlon Yarbrough OR Erik Roggie
141: Dylan Cedeno OR Kyren Butler OR Jack Gioffre
149: No. 29 Jarod Verkleeren
157: No. 23 Jake Keating
165: No. 9 Justin McCoy
174: Vic Marcelli
184: No. 31 Neil Antrassian
197: Michael Battista
285: Gabe Christenson
NORTHWESTERN PROBABLES (Ranking Listed Is InterMat)
125: No. 3 Michael DeAugustino
133: No. 7 Chris Cannon
141: Joel Vandervere
149: No. 8 Yahya Thomas
157: No. 19 Trevor Chumbley
165: David Ferante
174: No. 23 Troy Fisher
184: Jack Jessen OR Jon Halvorsen
197: No. 32 Andrew Davison
285: Lucas Davison
THE SERIES WITH NORTHWESTERN
• Virginia and Northwestern have met twice before with the Wildcats leading the series 2-0.
• The first meeting came in the 2006-07 season in a neutral-site contest in Chapel Hill as part of the ACC/Big 10 Challenge hosted by North Carolina.
• The second meeting in the series came last year at Northwestern- an 18-16 victory for the Wildcats.
• This is the first meeting between the two teams in Charlottesville.