CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia wrestling team (0-1) heads out on the road this weekend to continue dual competition with a pair of matchups in North Carolina. The Cavaliers will face Queens (0-6) on Friday night at 7 p.m. before continuing the weekend road trip at Campbell (2-3) on Sunday at 4 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
Both duals on the weekend will be streamed on ESPN+ which is available by subscription through ESPN.com and the ESPN app. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWrestling).
• This will be the first meeting between the Cavaliers and Queens University of Charlotte.
• Virginia and Campbell have faced off four times with the Hoos leading the all-time series 3-1.
• The Hoos have four wrestlers in the individual rankings by InterMat with Justin McCoy (No. 9 at 165), Jake Keating (No. 26 at 157), Jarod Verkleeren (No. 29 at 149) and Neil Antrassian (No. 30 at 184) ranked for the Hoos.
• Jack Gioffre made his collegiate debut in UVA’s first dual of the season against No. 15 Northwestern.
• Gioffre picked up his first collegiate win in that dual match with a 7-6 decision over Joel VanderVere.
• The potential lineup could feature as many as four newcomers to the program this season – including three freshmen who were part of the eighth-ranked recruiting class in the nation.
• Virginia is receiving votes in the latest national team rankings as released by the National Wrestling Coaches Association, having received one vote for the top 25 this week.
VIRGINIA’S PROBABLE LINEUP (Rankings by InterMat)
125: Patrick McCormick (4-5) OR Kyle Montaperto (7-3)
133: Erik Roggie (1-3) OR Garrett Grice (8-1)
141: Dylan Cedeno (3-2) OR Jack Gioffre (1-0)
149: No. 29 Jarod Verkleeren (9-3)
157: No. 26 Jake Keating (3-3) OR Denton Spencer (6-3)
165: No. 9 Justin McCoy (4-1)
174: Vic Marcelli (6-4) OR Justin Phillips (7-4)
184: No. 30 Neil Antrassian (7-2)
197: Michael Battista (7-2)
HWT: Gabe Christenson (4-5)
QUEENS PROBABLE LINEUP
125: Ashton Thompson
133: Griffin Gonzalez
141: Melvin Rubio
149: Nico D’Amico
157: David Makupson
165: Caleb Moore OR Sebastien Shered
174: J.T. Skalecki
184: D’Andre Hunt
197: Riley Kuhn
HWT: Mikey Lytle
CAMPBELL PROBABLE LINEUP
125: Anthony Molton or Zander Phaturos
133: No. 28 Gabriel Hixenbaugh OR Domenic Zaccone
141: Shannon Hanna
149: Chris Rivera OR Callum Sitek
157: No. 33 Troy Nation OR Hagen Heistand
165: Dom Baker OR Riley Augustine
174: Cole Rees OR Cameron Andrews
184: No. 18 Caleb Hopkins OR Shane Quick
197: Levi Hopkins OR Brandon Hosleton
HWT: No. 13 Taye Ghadiali OR Chad Nix
LAST TIME OUT AGAINST CAMPBELL
• Virginia and Campbell met last season in Charlottesville with the Camels claiming a 21-15 victory.
• The dual was tied at 15 after eight weight classes before the Camels took decisions at 197 and 285.
• Virginia got victories from Brian Courtney (133), Jon Errico (157), Justin McCoy (165) and Michael Battista (197) on the way to having the match deadlocked with the two weight classes remaining.
• The Hoos got a major decision from Courtney and tech fall from McCoy, while the Camels got a pin as part of the first four matches to have the dual tied.
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
Following the weekend of action in North Carolina, the Cavaliers will have almost three weeks off before returning to action at the Midlands Championship hosted by Northwestern. The two-day event is set to run Dec. 29-30.