CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 1 Virginia women’s swimming and diving team defeated Virginia Tech 207-91, while the No. 11 Virginia men’s team fell 151-132 to No. 19 Virginia Tech.
UVA’s women won 15 of the 16 events, with senior Jennifer Bell sweeping the diving events for the Cavaliers. The men six events in a tight contest with the Hokies.
- Bell highlighted the morning with two wins, posting the second-best score in school history on the 1-meter board with a 326.63 and the fourth-best score on the 3-meter with a 334.28.
- Senior Ella Nelson, junior Alex Walsh and sophomore Gretchen Walsh all picked up two wins for the UVA.
- Nelson won the 100-yard breaststroke (1:00.85) and 500-yard freestyle (4:48.21).
- A. Walsh won the 100-yard butterfly (51.91) and 100-yard freestyle (48.56).
- G. Walsh swam a pool record to win the 200-yard backstroke (1:51.42) and won the 50-yard freestyle (21.26).
- Senior Maddie Donohoe won the 1000-yard freestyle in as season-best time of 9:48.87.
- Freshman Aimee Canny made her UVA debut with a win in the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 1:46.10.
- Sophomore Reilly Tiltmann took the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 53.02.
- Freshman Emma Weber won the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:11.69.
- Douglass added a pool record to close out the individual events with a 1:52.07 to win the 200-yard individual medley.
- UVA’s 200-yard medley relay group of G. Walsh, A. Walsh, senior Lexi Cuomo and Douglass, respectively, won with a time of 1:35.08.
- Junior Abby Harter, G. Walsh, Tiltmann and Cuomo, respectively, won the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:17.16.
- Senior Jack Wright won two events to pace UVA. He took first in the 200-yard freestyle with a season-best time of 1:35.72 and won the 500-yard freestyle in 4:25.85.
- Junior Noah Nichols cruised to a win in the 100-yard breaststroke in 53.10.
- Senior Josh Fong took first in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:45.45.
- Junior Matt Brownstead and senior August Lamb went 1-2 in the 50-yard freestyle, with Brownstead finishing in 19.99 and Lamb in 20.03.
- Sophomore Jack Aikins out-touched Virginia Tech’s Nico Garcia to win the 200-yard backstroke in 1:46.14.
- The relay group of Brownstead, Nichols, Fong and Lamb won the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:25.94.
Virginia will compete in a tri-meet with NC State and North Carolina on Friday, Jan. 21 and Saturday, Jan. 22.