CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 11 Virginia women’s tennis team (12-3, 5-1 ACC) closed out the weekend with a 6-1 victory against Louisville (8-8, 0-6 ACC) on Sunday (March 19) on the indoor courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
Virginia won the doubles point and built up a 4-0 lead before Louisville earned a point with a win on court one. The Cavaliers won the remaining two matches for a 6-1 victory.
Natasha Subhash and Elaine Chervinsky started the day with a 6-2 victory on the second doubles court. Mélodie Collard and Julia Adams clinched the point with a 6-4 win on the top court.
In singles. Subhash raced to a 6-2, 6-2 win on court two to put UVA ahead 2-0. Collard followed with a 6-2, 6-2 win on her own on six. Sara Ziodato split her first two sets with Maria Campos on court five, but won 6-0 in the third set to clinch the Cavaliers’ victory.
After Louisville took court one, Hibah Shaikh and Chervinsky won three-set matches on courts three and four to close out the match.
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia is on the road next weekend, playing at No. 13 Miami on Friday, March 24 at 1 p.m. before traveling to face No. 35 Florida State on Sunday, March 26 at noon
- The Cavaliers return home to host Georgia Tech on Friday, March 31 at 4 p.m.
#11 Virginia 6, Louisville 1
- Andrea Di Palma (LOU) def. #44 Julia Adams (VA) 6-2, 7-5
- #78 Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Jamilah Snells (LOU) 6-2, 6-2
- #89 Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Rhea Verma (LOU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
- #124 Elaine Chervinsky (VA) def. Tyra Richardson (LOU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
- Sara Ziodato (VA) def. Maria Campos (LOU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
- Melodie Collard (VA) def. Sasha Gorchanyuk (LOU) 6-2, 6-2
- #7 Melodie Collard/Julia Adams (VA) def. Andrea Di Palma/Rhea Verma (LOU) 6-4
- #6 Natasha Subhash/Elaine Chervinsky (VA) def. Sasha Gorchanyuk/Maria Campos (LOU) 6-2
- Hibah Shaikh/Sara Ziodato (VA) vs. Jamilah Snells/Cici Xin (LOU) 4-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,6,5,1,4,3)