RALEIGH, N.C. – The No. 9 Virginia women’s tennis team (16-5, 9-3 ACC) suffered a 5-2 loss at No. 8 NC State (19-4, 9-3 ACC) on Friday (April 14) at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center in Raleigh, N.C.
The match started on the outdoor courts but moved indoors shortly after singles play began.
NC State won the doubles point with their top two teams, ranked No. 11 and 12, winning 6-3 on both courts. In singles, the Wolfpack picked up straight-set wins on courts one through three to clinch the victory. Freshman Annabelle Xu, who was playing her first singles match in two months, got the Cavaliers on the board with a 6-2, 4-6, 12-10 win on court four. Sara Ziodato gave UVA its second point with a 6-1, 7-5 win on court five.
The Cavaliers close out the regular season on Sunday (April 16) with a 12 p.m. match at Wake Forest (14-11, 4-7 ACC).
#8 NC State Wolfpack 5, #9 Virginia 2
- #15 Diana Shnaider (ST) def. #60 Natasha Subhash (UVA) 6-0, 6-1
- #13 Alana Smith (ST) def. Elaine Chervinsky (UVA) 6-3, 6-1
- #25 Amelia Rajecki (ST) def. Hibah Shaikh (UVA) 6-3, 6-4
- #82 Annabelle Xu (UVA) def. #71 Abigail Rencheli (ST) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (12-10)
- Sara Ziodato (UVA) def. Sophie Abrams (ST) 6-1, 7-5
- Gina Dittmann (ST) def. Melodie Collard (UVA) 6-2, 6-0
- #11 Diana Shnaider/Alana Smith (ST) def. #21 Julia Adams/Melodie Collard (UVA) 6-3
- #12 Nell Miller/Amelia Rajecki (ST) def. #23 Elaine Chervinsky/Natasha Subhash (UVA) 6-3
- Sophie Abrams/Abigail Rencheli (ST) vs. Annabelle Xu/Sara Ziodato (UVA) 4-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)
match started outdoors 30 minute rain delay, moved indoors