Hear from Hibah Shaikh 👇after winning the clinching point in today’s 4-0 victory against LIU in the #NCAAWTEN First Round #GoHoos⚔️ pic.twitter.com/hqqhCzCOxb
— Virginia Women's Tennis (@UVAWomensTennis) May 5, 2023
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia women’s tennis team (19-6) opened play at the 2023 NCAA Women’s Tennis Team Championship with a 4-0 victory against LIU (12-11) at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort.
The Cavaliers advance to face Princeton (17-6) on Saturday, May 6 at 4 p.m. at the same locations. Princeton advanced with a 4-0 victory against Fordham in the opening match of the Charlottesville Regional.
The Cavaliers got off to a strong start against the Sharks in doubles with Julia Adams and Mélodie Collard winning 6-1 on the top court. Natasha Subhash and Annabelle Xu clinched the point with a 6-2 win on court two.
Collard put the Cavaliers ahead 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-0 win against Elinor Storkaas on court five, finishing her match before court one had completed its first set. Xu followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win against Saki Oyama on court three moments before Hibah Shaikh finished a 6-0, 6-0 win on court four to clinch the victory.
Virginia is the No. 12 seed in the championship. The Ivy League champion Tigers are ranked No. 56 in the latest ITA rankings.
Virginia and Princeton faced one another last year in the Round of 32 in Charlottesville with the Cavaliers picking up a 4-0 victory.
Tickets for the NCAA Championship matches are $5 for general admission and $3 for students with a valid ID per day (ages 2 and up are required to have a ticket). Tickets will be available for purchase online, over the phone, or at the Bryant Hall ticket office and can be picked up at the courts.
#11 Virginia 4, LIU 0
- #61 Julia Adams (VA) vs. V Erechtchenko (LIU) 5-7, unfinished
- #53 Natasha Subhash (VA) vs. Leo Boisseau (LIU) 6-4, 4-0, unfinished
- #92 Annabelle Xu (VA) def. Saki Oyama (LIU) 6-1, 6-2
- Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Marion Deloziere (LIU) 6-0, 6-0
- Melodie Collard (VA) def. Elinor Storkaas (LIU) 6-0, 6-0
- Nicole Kiefer (VA) vs. Kate Jorjoliani (LIU) 2-6, 3-2, unfinished
- Julia Adams/Melodie Collard (VA) def. V Erechtchenko/Elinor Storkaas (LIU) 6-1
- Natasha Subhash/Annabelle Xu (VA) def. Leo Boisseau/Marion Deloziere (LIU) 6-2
- Sara Ziodato/Hibah Shaikh (VA) vs. Saki Oyama/Ekaterine Jorjoliani (LIU) 5-3, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,3,4)