CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 20 Virginia women’s soccer team (5-0-2, 0-0-0 ACC) heads out on the road this weekend to open ACC play at Louisville (1-4-3, 0-0-0 ACC)
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
The game against Louisville will be streamed on ACCNX which is available through the ESPN app and at WatchESPN.com for customers who have the ACC Network as part of their television subscription. Live stats are also available and links to both the live stream and broadcast are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAWomenSoccer).
- Virginia remained undefeated and moved to No. 20 in the United Soccer Coaches rankings after a playing Iowa to a scoreless draw last week – only the second draw of the season for the Hoos
- Virginia posted four consecutive shutouts and went 444:01 minutes of scoreless soccer to start the year and have five shutouts on the season – tied for 10th nationally and second in the ACC
- The UVA defense held opponents to the two goals on only 32 shots through non-conference play.
- Underclassmen have been critical in the offense for the Hoos this season with 16 of 20 goals to date coming from freshmen or sophomores.
- Hoos have been scoring double this season as four of five victories have seen a Hoo record a brace.
- Meredith McDermott was named ACC Offensive Player of the Week after a brace in a 2-1 win over West Virginia and an opening goal in the first minute of play against VCU in week three of play.
- McDermott is tied with Cagle for goals scored and is second on the team with 12 points this year.
- Maggie Cagle hit her second game-winning goal of the season against VCU and added an assist. She leads the team with 13 points and is tied for the team lead in goals (5) and assists (3).
- Cagle is second in the ACC in total points and in points per game, and tops in game-winning goals.
- Cayla White posted her third shutout of the season against Iowa and has 14 for her career. The 14 shutouts is seventh most all-time at UVA and she needs one win to tie for top 10 in career wins.
- White is second in the ACC this season in goal against average (0.19) and in save percentage (.933) while also ranking third in total shutouts with her three shutouts to date.
- The match at Louisville is the second road contest of the season for the Hoos to this point.
THE SERIES WITH LOUISVILLE
- Virginia and Louisville have faced each other 11 times with the Cavaliers taking the victory with each meeting
- The teams last met in the fall of 2022 when the Hoos picked up the 2-0 victory over Louisville at Klöckner Stadium
- In that meeting, Alexis Theoret struck first for the Hoos off a free kick in the 74th minute before Haley Hopkins closed it out with her score in the 83rd minute off a pass from Talia Staude
- The teams have met three times in Louisville with the Hoos holding 3-0-0 lead in those games