CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams begin the 2023-24 season with a dual meet at Florida in Gainesville, Fla., at 11 a.m. on Friday, with diving events beginning Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Exactech Arena at Stephen C. O’Connell Center.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Live results are available on Meet Mobile. Fans can follow @UVASwimDive on Twitter for updates during the meet.
ABOUT THESE HOOS
- Virginia’s women return to action as the three-time reigning NCAA Champions. The Cavaliers won their third-straight national title last season, sweeping all five relays and winning six individual titles.
- The women return 10 All-Americans from the 2022-23 team, including NCAA Champions Alex and Gretchen Walsh.
- Seniors Ella Nelson and Maddie Donohoe return for a fifth year and UVA’s entire 800 free relay championship team is back – sophomore Aimee Canny, A. Walsh, senior Reilly Tiltmann and Nelson.
- The UVA men’s team finished 15th at NCAAs last season.
- Six All-Americans are back for the men, including ACC Champion Noah Nichols.
- Nichols won his first individual ACC title in the 100-yard breaststroke last season.
- Senior Matt Brownstead moved into second all-time at UVA with 17 total All-America honors.
- UVA swimmers had a successful showing at the 2023 US Phillips 66 Nationals in June.
- The Walsh sisters and senior Maxine Parker qualified for the 2023 World Aquatic Championships. G. Walsh won three medals in her first Worlds appearance (one gold, one silver, one bronze), A. Walsh won silver in the 200 IM and Parker won silver with the 4×100 free relay.
- Virginia also had six qualify for the 2023 Pan American Games that will be held in Chile, Oct. 21-25. The qualifiers include, senior Abby Harter, senior Anna Keating, senior Noah Nichols, senior Reilly Tiltmann, junior Jack Aikins and sophomore Emma Weber.
- Virginia’s coaches have also been recognized with national team selections. Head coach Todd DeSorbo will serve as the Team USA Women’s Swimming Head Coach at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Associate head coach Blaire Anderson was named an assistant coach for the 2023 World Aquatic Championships and assistant coach Jake Shrum will serve as an assistant at the 2023 Pan American Games.
Virginia will host Texas in a two-day dual meet Friday, Oct. 27 and Saturday, Oct. 28 at the Aquatic and Fitness Center.