Virginia Men's Tennis Defeats Old Dominion, 5-2
Feb. 17, 2001
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 35 University of Virginia men’s tennis team began its Spring 2001 season Saturday (Feb. 17) by defeating Old Dominion, 5-2, in Virginia Beach, Va.
The Cavaliers swept all three doubles matches to secure the doubles point. Then, after fourth-years Brian Vahaly (Atlanta, Ga./ The Lovett School) and Huntley Montgomery (Chapel Hill, N.C./ Chapel Hill) both won their singles matches, fourth-year Tommy Croker (Alexandria, Va./ St. Stephens) turned in the match’s decisive performance, defeating Nichlas Hallberg, 7-5, 6-1.
Virginia is now 1-0 on the season, and will take on ACC rival Florida State March 3 in Tallahassee, Fla. The Seminoles currently ranked 55th in the Wingspan.com Collegiate Tennis Rankings.
1. Vahaly/ Montgomery (UVa) def. Hallberg/ Binkowski (ODU), 8-5.2. Croker/ Duquette (UVa) def. Csanadi/ Milos (ODU), 8-4.
3. Chou/ Hunter (UVa) def. Laender/ Mohammed (ODU), 9-7.
1. Brian Vahaly (UVa) def. Rodrigo Laender (ODU), 6-1, 6-1.2. Huntley Montgomery (UVa) def. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU), 8-4.
3. Tommy Croker (UVa) def. Nichlas Hallberg (ODU), 7-5, 6-1.4. Calin Milos (ODU) def. Michael Duquette (UVa), 6-4, 6-3.
5. Salman Mohammed (ODU) def. Brian Hunter (UVa), 7-5, 6-4.6. Jason Romesburg (UVa) def. Patrick Binkowski (ODU), 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 (10-3)*
* With the match already decided, the No. 6 singles match was decided by a super tiebreaker, which Jason Romesburg won, 10-3. The score is reported as a 7-6 win for Romesburg.