UVa Women's Tennis Loses 5-2 to Wake Forest in ACC Match
April 14, 2001
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The University of Virginia women’s tennis team lost an Atlantic Coast Conference match, 5-2, to #18 Wake Forest on Saturday (April 14) in Charlottesville. The Demon Deacons won two of three doubles matches and four of six singles matches to capture the 5-2 win. With the loss, Virginia falls to 13-9 overall and 2-5 in the ACC.
Second-year Jennifer Tuchband (Millburn, N.J. / Millburn), and fourth-year Kelly Weaver (Kingston, N.Y. / Kingston) won their third straight match at No. 3 doubles. The pair defeated Jackie Houston and Elizabeth Proctor, 8-5. The victory was not enough for Virginia, however, as the Cavaliers lost at No. 1 and No. 2 to lose the important doubles point.
Wake Forest dominated the top four slots of the singles portion of the match, winning in straight sets at all four of the top four spots. Virginia’s Laura James (Fairfax, Va./Centerville) got the Cavaliers on the scoreboard with a 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3) win over Aimee Smith at No. 5 singles. Weaver then added UVa’s other tally with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Proctor at No. 6.
The Cavaliers face N.C. State tomorrow (Sunday, April 15) at 1:00 p.m. at Snyder. The match is the Cavs’ final regular season match of the year and marks the last time seniors Weaver and Christie Schweer (Houston, Texas/Memorial) will play a regular season match at home.
WFU 5, Virginia 2
1. Bielik/Bergman (WFU) def. Shweer/Williams (UVa), 8-1.
2. Haus/Smith (WFU) def. O’Donnell/Kim (UVa), 8-6.3. Tuchband/Weaver (UVa) def. Houston/Proctor (WFU), 8-5.
Singles 1. Bea Bielik (WFU) def. O’Donnell (UVa), 6-4, 7-5.
2. Janet Bergman (WFU) def. Henriette Williams (UVa), 6-1, 6-1.3. Maren Haus (WFU) def. Christie Schweer (UVa), 6-3, 6-3.
4. Jackie Houston (WFU) def. Jennifer Tuchband (UVa), 6-2, 6-2. 5. Laura James (UVa) def. Aimee Smith (WFU), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3).
6. Kelly Weaver (UVa) def. Elizabeth Proctor (WFU), 6-3, 6-4.